1. Miso

Miso New Member

Proper punctuation used with movie quotes

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Miso, Jul 24, 2011.

I recently posted this movie quote:

" Everything is more complicated than you think. You only see a tenth of what is true. There are a million little strings

attached to every choice you make; you can destroy your life every time you choose. But maybe you won't know for

twenty years. And you may never ever trace it to its source. And you only get one chance to play it out. Just try and

figure out your own divorce. And they say there is no fate, but there is: it's what you create. And even though the

world goes on for eons and eons, you are only here for a fraction of a fraction of a second. Most of your time is spent

being dead or not yet born. But while alive, you wait in vain, wasting years, for a phone call or a letter or a look from

someone or something to make it all right. And it never comes or it seems to but it doesn't really. And so you spend your

time in vague regret or vaguer hope that something good will come along. Something to make you feel connected,

something to make you feel whole, something to make you feel loved. And the truth is I feel so angry, and the truth is I

feel so fucking sad, and the truth is I've felt so fucking hurt for so fucking long and for just as long I've been pretending

I'm OK, just to get along, just for, I don't know why, maybe because no one wants to hear about my misery, because

they have their own. Well, fuck everybody. Amen." - Minister, "Scynechdochy, NY": Written and Directed by Charlie Kaufman

At the end there, did I use the proper punctuation?

Minister, "Scynechdochy, NY": Written and Directed by Charlie Kaufman

I picked up using quotes around a movie title, but I was taught that when using proper punctuation, you never use quotes unless someone is speaking. Wouldn't the proper way be: 'Scynechdochy, NY'?

2. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I think movie titles should be in italics.

3. Miso

Miso New Member

Oh yeah, okay. I didn't think the median I posted the quote on allowed italicizing or codes of any kind so that didn't even cross my mind, but now I see that it does. Thanks :)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Movie tiutles are typically italicized rather than enclosing them in quotes. On manuscript, italics are denoted by underlining.

Synecdochy, NY, written and directed by Charlie Kaufman

or

Synecdochy, NY, written and directed by Charlie Kaufman

note that written and directed should not be capitalized

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yep!