Tags:
  1. Rashi Arie

Rashi Arie New Member

Trying to find a way to kill a character

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Rashi Arie, Jul 21, 2019.

So I'm writing this story where one character has to be murdered from carbon monoxide poisoning in a car. How can I get it done? Can somebody help me?

2. RobinLC

RobinLC Active Member

Rashi Arie likes this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Drug them and leave them behind the wheel of their own car parked in their own garage with the door closed. Maybe get them drunk first. I think that's what Kevin Spacey did to that guy in House of Cards.

Rashi Arie and Matt E like this.
  4. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Convince them that a bucket of dry ice in the back seat is an acceptable stop gap to a broken air conditioner.

Rashi Arie likes this.
  5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Why not use an untraceable poison injected under a finger/toe nail? Much easier
    and a lot less work. :p

Rashi Arie likes this.
  6. Rashi Arie

Rashi Arie New Member

Other than dry ice, what other objects can I use?

7. Rashi Arie

Rashi Arie New Member

It has to be done this way. I want the case to rule out as an accident at first

8. Rashi Arie

Rashi Arie New Member

Other than dry ice, what other objects can I use?

9. Rashi Arie

Rashi Arie New Member

The person must be driving the car and I want it to look like a suicide first

10. Rashi Arie

Rashi Arie New Member

11. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

Don’t keep us guessing and fix the OP to include the details of what exactly you’re looking for.

Why carbon monoxide poisoning? What does the victim do for a living? What time period we talking? Is this sci-fi based (underwater cars possible)? Why does the murderer choose this option? Is it believable the murderer would go for this? You want it to look like suicide or not? What is the location? Garage is always the most obvious, but are you going to tell us this isn’t an option either?

Address these issues, and any others that come to mind, and I’ll see if I can think of something.

GL :)

12. Rashi Arie

Rashi Arie New Member

Let me post the full context of the story then

13. Rashi Arie

Rashi Arie New Member

Ok, here is the full context of the plot:

A bit about motivation:
    I don't know if you are familiar with the word "honor killing." It is when one family member kills another person for marrying outside their religion or caste. Unfortunately, this unfortunate thing is very common in India.

Plot:
    My character, let's say Lisa is in a relationship with someone outside her religion and her parents disapprove. To prevent her from marrying her lover, her uncle decides to kill her.
    He fills her gym ball with carbon monoxide (this is one idea I'm thinking about). As she drives home from her gym to house, she loses control of her car and dies.

Why carbon monoxide poisoning:
    I want to make it look like an accident or suicide at first. Even if the investigators find carbon monoxide in her blood, we can rule it out as air conditioning sucking exhaust leak.

14. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

Huh? Surely there are easier ways ... why would someone ‘commit suicide’ whilst driving a car? Doesn’t make sense.

How exactly would you get the gas into the basket ball and then get it to leak out at the right time AND assume the journey is long enough AND given that the person is conscious and feeling a little lightheaded/woozy wouldn’t they stop the car? Or simply open a window?

Have you looked into the amount of gas required in any given space, the time it takes to effect people or looked at cases where the victims of such incidents were fully conscious - most incidents of such poisoning I’ve heard of usually happens to people who are asleep.

15. Rashi Arie

Rashi Arie New Member

This is one plot hole I'm trying to fix. I have also heard people are usually asleep when this type of accident happens. I'm looking for a way, for this character Lisa and possibly her boyfriend has to die. But it should look like a suicide or an accident at first.

16. Rashi Arie

Rashi Arie New Member

T
    The idea of the gym ball is not finalized. That is just a thought. I'm looking for more reliable ways

17. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning while driving?

Yeah, that's a plot hole.

Rashi Arie likes this.
  18. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

a gym ball of carbon monoxide wouldnt be anywhere near enough to kill released into a car - for one thing its heavier than air so it would just sit on the floor of the car, for another if there was somehow enough (like tampering with the exhaust to vent into the passenger space) you'd realise something was wrong and wind a window down.

Carbon monoxide poisoning happens either deliberately when suicides fill their cars with exhaust fumes, or accidentally (usually from gas fires in bedrooms) while people are asleep

if you want to gas her while driving it needs to be something a lot more potent, like cyanide, or sarin or something of that ilk..

Rashi Arie likes this.
  19. Rashi Arie

Rashi Arie New Member

It's an idea I entertain. Perhaps I need to look for something else then.

20. Rashi Arie

Rashi Arie New Member

This could be a potential problem. I think I'm going to look for some other ways to kill the character then

badgerjelly likes this.
  21. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

If there was carbon monoxide in the car, they wouldn't necessarily die from it while driving. They could just get dizzy, nauseated, and short of breath, then pull off on the side of the road or at a rest stop, try and take a quick nap in hopes they'll feel better, and never wake up.

There was a book I read a long time ago where a terrorist was using fire extinguishers filled with CO to crash planes. CO is in itself odourless, tasteless, and dissolves instantly in liquids, so the only way they would know what's up without any exhaust smell would be by symptoms, and depending on the concentration, by then it may be too late, and the victim may brush it off as the result of a bad night. I agree that a gym ball wouldn't be enough, but a compressed container may be, especially if it's hot with the windows shut and the A/C on cycle. I think the bigger problem would be obtaining it. It's not exactly something that's sold in supermarkets, and manufacturing and compressing it yourself would be problematic. That's not to say it can't be bought, though. I do know you can (or at least used to be able to) buy tester kits for carbon monoxide detectors that had a couple of small vials of CO that you would empty while they and your detector were both sealed in a zip lock bag, so it's got to be manufactured somewhere.

Rashi Arie likes this.
  22. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Fire extinguishers are usually full of Carbon Dioxide - a fire extinguisher full of Carbon Monoxide would be a really bad idea, that shit's flamable (it was once used a a gas fuel before the widespread availability of butane and propane, hence the trope of people committing suicide by putting their head in a gas oven)

As to manufacturing it its made by burning carbon in a low oxygen environment - that's why accidental monoxide deaths are usually related to fires or gas fires that arent drawing propperly

Rashi Arie likes this.
  23. Rashi Arie

Rashi Arie New Member

That is too much work for a character to do in this story. I can use it in the future

24. Rashi Arie

Rashi Arie New Member

I don't think a fire extinguisher will work

25. Thom

Thom Active Member

Have the killer convince the victim to commit suicide.
    Could be a long and winding path, but if the 'killer' has the patience, then talking the victim into it also adds a psychological thriller aspect.