1. jynxi000

jynxi000 New Member

Trying to get into freelance writing

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by jynxi000, Sep 24, 2008.

So I have a friend who edits a local magazine and he says they are looking for some new freelance writers. I'm pretty good at opinion pieces and general reviews so I really want to submit something, but I can't come up with a subject. He suggested doing some music reviews, but they were over all very vague about what they were looking for. Does anyone do freelance writing that could give me some tips, topic suggestions, or any kind of overall advice? It would be greatly appreciated!

2. spacekadet

spacekadet New Member

Congrats! I'm a freelance writer and would love to have an offer like this fall in my lap. Do take advantage!

My advice is to read a few copies of the magazine and get a feel for its style. If it's a local paper and they want to review music, perhaps you could review a local gig or profile a local musician.

Hope this helps..
    Monica

3. ParanormalWriter

ParanormalWriter New Member

You might even review other areas of entertainment. I have a friend who reviews everything from musical plays to books to movies.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

is this a paying gig?
    is it a print mag, or e-zine?

monica's advice to check out content of a few issues is on target... as are her suggestions for articles...

it seems odd and unprofessional that the editor would be so vague about what is wanted... it would be professional of you to ask him to be more specific, before wasting time writing what might not be wanted...

does the magazine have a website?... if so, give us a link and i can be a bit more specific with advice...

love and hugs, maia

5. jynxi000

jynxi000 New Member

thanks for your feedback guys, it really helps. I did pick up a few copies of the Mag. It is printed, but it also has a website: http://www.worcestermagazine.com/
    I think the reason everything was so vague was because they were JUST bought out and put under new management, so the section they want to add entertainment reviews to isn't really quite there yet. Which is why I'm so nervous and unsure about what would fit in. Anyway I've decided to just write something on an artist I like right now, and see what kind of feedback they give me.

6. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Senior Member

Problem is though, I am not sure where I will start. I have never written for money before, and have written few short stories that weren't for school.

I am not planning to try doing this tomorrow, and want to post a few short stories here first to get feedback and hone my writing skills. I was just wondering, what kind of jobs I will start out with.

Fjane411 likes this.
  7. violinguy

violinguy Member

I'm not a professional writer, and there are sure to be several folks here who will give more informed advice. That said, expect your journey to be a long one. I know you said "not tomorrow," and that is good realistic thinking on your part. Most freelance writers that I know of, started by being published here or there gratis or for peanuts simply to "get published." Then, on the basis of their resume, they get freelance work for this or that publication. A reputation is built on good writing and the ability to meet deadlines. Then more work follows.

This process is one of years instead of weeks. Decades instead of years. Etc. Now, I've not read your writing, and I don't doubt you are serious and possess the skills necessary for this undertaking. Just so we're clear, this will be a marathon and not a sprint.

And, FYI, this should not be the only place you get input on your work. A message board (albeit a good one) is not the place on which to pin your hopes. Sorry to sound a little negative. I just want to start with a bit of reality and let you know what to expect. Being a freelance musician is much the same process. Do good work and build a reputation and more work follows. Best of luck to you!

VG:)

Fjane411 likes this.
  8. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Are you talking about only publishing fiction, or are you also considering publishing articles?

9. TheApprentice

I would like to publish fiction, but I will probably find mostly jobs for factual articles and non-fiction.

10. thirdwind

Making a living from publishing only fiction is very, very hard. Writing articles is probably the better route to take. I know there are several sites for freelancers out there. In fact, I know a guy who uses one such site (don't remember the name, though). He makes a good living and only works 4-5 hours a day.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    Fjane411 likes this.
  11. TheApprentice

Hey man, I will do it. One hour of work, no serving the public, and no boss harassing me ans making stupid rules? Sounds good to me.

12. TheApprentice

So should I have a blog to show potential clients? Or can I just show them any online work?

13. Passero

Passero Member

A blog definitely helps.
    I started out with a blog and wrote articles on a weekly base. It was about a specific topic, a niche in the IT world but in the end I was contacted by a publisher who asked me to write a book about the topic.

It definitely gives you some exposure but than again, it also requires an effort to promote your blog which can take as much time as writing articles...

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

dream on!

you will be serving the portion of 'the public' meant to read what you write and will be harassed by 'the boss' [your clients] who will be making stupid rules you have to follow, if you want to get paid...

15. TheApprentice

*Shrug* Long as I don't have to walk 4 miles in the scorching sun to work some cash register with bitchy customers coming in droves to make complicated food orders and complain that the food is too expensive, I'm fine with it.

Fjane411 likes this.
  16. Fjane411

Fjane411 New Member

I've found that a lot of the website claiming to have freelancing jobs are looking for technical writers and not for creative writers. It is hard jumping into freelance writing. I would love to find out what works for you and if you've found any good websites for creative writers.
    The writing industry is very hard to get into...

17. thirdwind

I meant to say 4-5 hours in my original post (I fixed the mistake). He definitely works more than 1 hour. My bad. :oops:

18. TheApprentice

Well, I am trying for writersdomain and textbroker right now, but something is up with my paypal account. Sure, these will make me little money, but everyone starts somewhere, and I hate dealing with the general public directly.

19. rasmanisar

rasmanisar Active Member

Everyone else seems to have reinforced the 'it'll be hard work' message, so I'll go for the positive - work hard and keep trying! It's no more ludicrous than my dream of being a sponsored rock climber.

20. TheApprentice

BTW, has anyone ever written for ghostblogger.net? I am trying to start writing articles for it, but all I see is how to buy articles or search for articles. How do I upload articles to put up for sale?

21. JayG

JayG Banned Contributor

Well, the first question, is what skills you bring to the table that everyone else doesn't? Do you have a knowledge of the marketplace you're hoping to write for? Are you especially knowledgeable in some technology or profession? You can't write an article about nursing, after all, if you have no background in the field.

Next comes: do you have a good understanding of the techniques and norms of the journalistic writing techniques used on nonfiction writing, and the market you're aiming for?

What I'm getting it is the basic question of it you're prepared to write as a professional in a profession that's as difficult to master as any other.

Michail Seidman, when he was the editor and chief of Walker's crime fiction department, once had a college student write telling him that he wanted to write fiction as a summer job, and would be glad to write for him if he would tell that student what kind of stories he wanted to see.

Not having seen an example of your prose I can't make any judgment on where you stand vis-a-vis selling your work, but your attitude seems to be that you're seeking to know where you stand, and hoping that you're ready, not seeking how best to prepare yourself to be a professional. You should know going in that the average writer creates and puts aside a half million words or ore before they successfully market their work. You need to be aware, too, that the publishers have plenty of "just as good as" writers. They're looking for the exceptional. And for every novel they take by a new writer they reject more then a thousand. When it comes to nonfiction the situation isn't much better. So the better prepared, and knowledgeable, you are the better the chances of success.

22. TheApprentice

Well, I haven't exactly taken any college courses yet in any technology or profession, but I can write, fiction or non-fiction. And I can research. I'm sure if I do research on the art of writing articles then I can figure out how to best make it professional.

I know I will probably start out writing for peanuts, but everyone starts somewhere.

23. criticalsexualmass

criticalsexualmass Active Member

Let me cut through all the crap. There are plenty of others who post the same questions, and there's never a good answer. We don't know you and we don't know if you have the chops. There's no one answer but here's the formula I've used:

1) Get published. It doesn't matter if you have been paid or not. It doesn't matter if it's fiction or not. A resume that states "I've been published in Fumblebuckery Times for 6 articles on how to properly milk a minx" is better than a blank resume.

2) Once you have something for publishing credits on the resume, start targeting specific small publications and entering contests. Keep your standards low or you will wash out on rejection and dejection. Learn what these guys need. Take your $200 paycheck and smile, knowing that another spoonful of dirt just got removed from the prison wall.

3) Find your niche. We all have one. I wanted to be in regular commercial fiction and recently found that my science fiction ideas were the only thing i could sell. I'm still working on what i want to be while i sell the little things that can make me say "Yea, people actually pay for my stuff." Once you have gotten to this stage, try to build a relationship or 30 with others in that niche. Journal editors, blog hosts, even daily internet fiction sites. For every person you build a relationship with, a door is opened.

Work up from there. The reality is that during this entire time(years), you had better be writing your ass off. And learning. I'm struggling with everything i do, writing on the side with a legal career, a family and running a farm. I can't make writing THE priority. But I can make it A priority. I'm not good. But I still on occasion get paid for my writing. And that keeps my fingers on the keys, because if somebody will pay me for what i love i should be doing what i love

WeWill77 and TheApprentice like this.
  24. TheApprentice

Thank you for the advice. It will be helpful as I'm trying to eventually work from home.

Just wondering though, ever heard of textbroker or ghostblogger, and what are your thoughts?

25. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

Been thete dude