1. Mouse_Almighty

Mouse_Almighty New Member

Opinions on a Concept

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Mouse_Almighty, Oct 7, 2017.

I'm writing a coming of age novel/ fiction piece, but I'm worried the concept is too complex for my my writing ability, and my target audience.
    I want or the main character, who's point of view I am writing from, to remain unnamed and genderless, as abstract as possible. However, I still want for the reader to be able to connect to , and see themselves in the character.

Does this sound like something achievable, or should I just give a defined identity to my main?

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I think a defined identity is the way to go - it will be very difficult to write coming of age genderless because its a very gender , orientation,and relationship driven time

3. G. Anderson

G. Anderson Active Member

I think it sounds really hard to write because there are still many expectations, history, opinions, etc. on the different genders that, I think, shape us so much that hardly anyone can tell whether it's natural instincts or simply what we're taught or, in my opinion, more likely: a mix.
    So, I think your attempt is honourable but I don't think people can connect well with a character so free of expectations regarding his or hers identity.

Having said that, it could be a really interesting concept but I think rather for an older and also well-read audience.

4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I see coming of age as being largely about identity. You say "abstract", which to me means that you're depriving your character of identity. That seems problematic.

5. Skibbs

Skibbs Member

Personally, I like to read books that are abstract. That isn't the type of book I'd read, but it is an intriguing concept to deal with. I'm not sure if anyone has read Lord of the Flies, but the second boy introduced to the book doesn't have a name. He is simply referred to as: 'Piggy'. This provides an example that you may want to take on-board when writing your novel.

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

so he does have a name then... okay its not his proper name but its the character name

Simpson17866 likes this.
  7. ChickenFreak

But that is a name?

Simpson17866 likes this.
  8. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

How the hell will you refer to the character in text if it doesn't have a name or a gender? Are you going to call it "it" if you can't use he/she/name? Screw identifying with the character... I wouldn't even be able to identify where the character is on the page.

9. big soft moose

The singular they is popular with those that don't identify as a gender

Simpson17866 and rktho like this.
  10. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

You do know there are unisex names and gender-neutral pronouns, right? And "it" usually isn't on either of those lists...

rktho likes this.
  11. big soft moose

to be fair picking a name - even if its Pat, or Mel or whatever still establishes an identity even if it doesnt specify gender

12. Skibbs

Skibbs Member

Well, to an extent it is. However, the true name of the character is never discovered. In my opinion, so are pronouns - they are still classifying an object. Calling a Table a 'Table' is actually giving it a name. That's my trail of though anyway - perhaps it's just me. :confused:

Simpson17866 likes this.
  13. David Lee

David Lee Member

I love this idea. But it seems difficult as you also said. I know, I couldn't do it. Interesting topic however, I want to see where this goes.

rktho likes this.
  14. ChickenFreak

I might agree if Piggy were just called Boy or Child or Person. But to me, Piggy is a full-fledged name.

15. Skibbs

Skibbs Member

Yes, I do see where you're coming from. I'm not sure if you have read the novel, but to summarise it a bit, Piggy's real name is never given. Alongside this, Mr. Golding probably couldn't use a noun to name Piggy - as there were only boys on the island. Again, I do see where you're coming from, and to an extent, I do agree.

16. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I think it's a bad idea to want any character to remain abstract. Stories belong to characters and characters are who readers connect with. You really don't want to forget that. I do understand the appeal of a nameless/faceless character. It seems like we're deep. Like we're creating everyman. But we're really not. Tell a good story and leave out the gimmicks. Developing characters isn't the easiest thing to do, but I do think it is probably an important part of your story.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  17. Skibbs

Skibbs Member

I like the idea. Even if it is a tricky show to pull off - I think it adds a 'control' factor to the story. The way I see it, when you have a character - their characteristics are either set in stone, r change gradually throughout the novel, which is fine. However, if you have an abstract, blank character - it's a blank slate you can twist and morph so that any personality can spring from it, if you see what I mean.

18. ChickenFreak

I haven't read it, but my understanding is that Piggy has a personality and specific characteristics--glasses, asthma, intelligent, etc. That's not a generic character.

19. ChickenFreak

But if a personality springs from it, the character is no longer abstract.

Is the issue here about the definition of abstract?

Simpson17866 likes this.
  20. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

First person narration.

Robert Musil likes this.
  21. Skibbs

Skibbs Member

That would work for most novels with this sort of character, but what about if you had more than one person like this? Would you use a dual narrative. If so, it would mean that both characters would need a different personality - or we wouldn't be able to tell who is who.

22. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Write it first-person POV and you'll be able to get away with I/me instead of she/her. You'd be amazed how easy it is to avoid the gender then. I have one story like this. I managed to keep it up for 6000 words (it was just a short). I had a couple publishers take it. (Three, I think, but the first folded. Oh well. Though they paid me . . . very strange.)

Anyway, you couldn't tell if the MC was the brother or the sister. I had my reasons for doing this. It related to the plot.

23. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

My opinion--until you're a successfully published author, try to make writing as easy as possible.

rktho likes this.
  24. Mouse_Almighty

Mouse_Almighty New Member

:)Thanks Everyone, I really appreciate the input

25. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

If I may make a suggestion, why don't you write a short story (2000 words?) trying to do this device, then workshop it. If the majority of the people like it, you know you are onto something good if they don't well.... back to the drawing board.

I try lots of experiments in terms of writing and post them on the workshop. Some people really dig what I do, others don't.