1. CharmsB

CharmsB New Member

Trying to name a character - any ideas help!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by CharmsB, Dec 17, 2020.

Hello. I'm very, very new to writing, and I'm writing an adventure fantasy story about a cast of main characters chosen to save the world from an antagonist who wishes to rid the world of nature. The story has environmentalist and order vs. chaos themes. It's going to be a bit cheesy and childish, I hope this forum is accepting of more fun stories like this. It's almost nerve-wracking to post this haha.

Most of my characters have been extremely easy to name, some just being very simple, fun-sounding names without a lot of meaning. However, I really wanted to put a lot of effort into the antagonist's name because the conflict that he is creating is extremely important to the theme of the story itself.

The characters in this story, at least the majority, are animals. The antagonist is no exception. He is a greyhound who seeks to destroy nature and pave concrete over it. He sees that nature is too chaotic and dangerous for the future utopia he wishes to create. He has his origins as a street dog in South America, being taken into a home, realizing how life without nature is safe and secure. Obviously, I've simplified things here but I hope this is enough backstory.

During the story, he seeks to destroy the "Virida" trees, trees that act as a sort of "cell tower" for "Gaia energy", the spirit of nature. He also will pave over and destroy nature with concrete mixtures. He wields a gauntlet that fires chains that he uses to grapple/choke his enemies. He is cunning, intelligent, and unapologetic, but still understanding and human.

Because of his goals and origin, I came up with Baz Ordem, a name I am not fully happy with. Baz is short for Basilisk, a creature that can turn living beings to stone with its gaze. This is meant to mirror his goal of paving over nature with concrete. Baz also sounds like a pet name and actually has been used as a Surname in South America. Ordem is simply the Portuguese word for Order.

ANY suggestions help. I want the name to sound imposing and have meaning. While my current name has meaning, I feel it lacks an imposing sense. Thank you in advance!

2. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

I like your original name. Has meaning and sounds cool.

But if you insist. Maybe look up some demon names and split them, then combine them with other words?

Abaddon = Abarex, Abahounde.
    Moloch = Molokar.
    Izanami = Izan, Izanaxus, Izandom.

CharmsB likes this.
  3. TheOtherPromise

TheOtherPromise Senior Member

I think Baz sounds like a cool villain name. You can try out a different surname, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

CharmsB likes this.
  4. CharmsB

CharmsB New Member

Well, that's nice to hear! I suppose I should be a little more clear. The name, while definitely sounding cool, kinda invokes a more crazed, wild character, probably because of the Z? Makes me think of Taz. When writing this character, he is definitely going to be very idealistic, but nonetheless calm and calculating. Think Thanos or Darth Vader. These names are dark and imposing but give a sense of confidence and stature rather than craze or bloodlust. Of course, maybe their actions can be crazy, but their demeanor is calm and collected.

5. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

Maybe play around with variants of Basilisk with letters removed?

Basil
    Basik
    Bail
    Bailik
    Balik
    Bask

CharmsB likes this.
  6. CharmsB

CharmsB New Member

While a good idea, I can't say any of these pack as much of a punch as Baz. Baz in general also sounds vaguely South American, but the other variants you provided all end up sounding Celtic or Norse. Basik might be possible.

montecarlo likes this.
  7. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

I think Baz is good, nothing from with sticking with that

8. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Bezos?

Xoic and CharmsB like this.
  9. Cilogical

Cilogical Banned

Baz just makes me think of a dull bloke named Barry. I wouldn’t connect Baz with Basilisk at all nor consider it an imposing name. Basik or Balik would be better imo.

10. CharmsB

CharmsB New Member

In an ironic sense, naming a power-hungry villain who wants to take over the world "Bezos" is awesome haha. Too bad it doesn't fit the tone.
    Yeah, that's my train of thought. I'm not sure how much I like the sound of Basik or Balik when seeing the character in my head, but I for sure will reflect on them a bit. I can't even return to writing without knowing his name. Well, I can, but something about it irks me.