1. Queen Blue

Queen Blue New Member

Strugglin with plot of story about modern technology. Please help!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Queen Blue, Oct 23, 2017.

Hi!
    I do film production at university and i'm struggling to write a good plot for my film. It's about a couple, James and Chloe, who heavily rely on their phones for happiness, whenever they're out on a date they're sat on their phones posting about whats happening instead of living for now. They have thousands of followers on instagram and twitter etc and they always follow the latest fashions. Chloe breaks her phone one day coming back from a date with James and it's going to take a week to fix. I want to show the journey of how they become closer and stop having the rely on their phones for their happiness and show how they actually interact with meaning now and not just to show people their lives. I also want their to be a big argument where Chloe has realised how bad their social media addictions are but James still cant see it until they argue and Chloe makes James realise.

Any help for plot development will be greatly appreciated!!

2. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

It sounds like you’ve got the basic summary of the plot. What specifically are you struggling with?

Queen Blue and Terathorn like this.
  3. Queen Blue

Queen Blue New Member

Hi, I'm struggling with specific things that they do to lead up to them being a better couple basically :)

4. GB reader

GB reader Contributor Contributor

Some loose ideas.

At home weekend.

They are always half sitting in a comfortable easy chair of their own totally absorbed by their phones.

After the accident they now must share the device, meaning they must move to their bed that they with a lot of pillows can produce something like an easy chair for two.

This will bring them much closer when they together will look at things.

As one of them then needs to have the device to twitter something the other can then take interest in hair, skin nose lips of the first one in some nice intimate way. Then the other twitter and the same thing happens. So the fact that they only have one device brings them physically closer.

Then he can do something that takes so long time that she gets fed up with it and goes for a walk. She meets new neighbours, that they have had no contact with at all before.

She comes back and tells him the neighbours are super friendly and very interesting.

He immediately asks for their twitter/Facebook etc. She says they didn't talk about such things at all. He doesn't believe her. It happens again, she asks the neighbours and they say they don't use any social media. He doesn't believe her.

Finally they both go and meet the neighbours and he sees that it's true.

You can also have them(before accident) using their phones all the time to take pictures of things to put on instagram but, as they are both doing it they never takes pictures of each other but when they only have one she now takes pictures of him and the reverse.

As the now have only one phone they write texts together, they cooperate rather than work individually. They skip their individual blogs and start a common blog.

Good luck

5. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Well, you’ve described the problem in their relationship - that they are both too fixated on their phones and social media. You’ve also said that the girl breaking her phone causes her to change some of these behaviours, and also that there’s some kind of argument between them. So, I would suggest you think about what you want their relationship to be like at the end, and work back from there to determine what they need to do to get to that point.

6. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

This kind of story has a high risk of losing the human aspects when they cannot see each other's facial expressions. It is also harder than usual to make it into a visually interesting film. The Anime "Durarara" suffered a lot from trying to visualize social media in a visual form using raw text. Maybe they can use video calls instead like in the movie "Snowden" where it felt more balanced.

As for the plot, she can discover how much inner peace one can get from being totally disconnected from the internet for a while. I felt a lot less stress after I gave up my fiber internet connection and I did not even use social media, just browsing random websites when I was supposed to do something else.

7. Magical Writer

Magical Writer Member

Chloe notices how obsessed he is in the days after the accident.
    Chloe brings up the issue including what they miss out on by being the way they are and how things used to be.
    James is in denial and it leads to a bust up.
    Angry and upset Chloe goes and stays with family or friends and leaves him to think about things. Also with the claims he couldn't go a week without his phone.
    James goes to there local restaurant on his own, hoping to get some comfort from not seeing her. Hes sees a post/tweet he would usually share with Chloe and looks up to show her. But she's not there. But he notices couples happy and joyful in conversation, holding hands etc. On one table is a guy stuck to his phone scrolling constantly, smiling as he does. On the other side of the table is his partner, looking awkward and unloved.
    Alone in the quiet only her pictures to scroll through, James realises he misses her and decides to give the no phone thing a try.
    He realises what Chloe is talking about.
    James leaves messages on his accounts that he has something important to do and will not be around for a while.
    Chloe finds out from friends about his posts.
    James does something romantic indicating a date.
    They start there romance as if it was knew.
    They rekindle there spark to a whole new level without technology.

Very broad but if one line sparks an idea for you I would be happy. I might even give up my phone for a week :agreed: