TV Shows

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Aug 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

Still loving Stumptown, each episode it just gets better and better. Now that End of the Fucking world is over looking for the next binge watch. Still have the new Netflix show seasons to catch up on and i`ve been hearing Watchmen good. Behind the HBO, wall.

2. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

Been watching a lot of stuff lately, which certainly isn't doing my writing any favors.

Disenchantment. I was hoping for the second coming of Futurama , but that certainly isn't the case just yet. But it's not a bad show by any means, and I feel it's slowly getting better. There's certainly some potential for greatness.

Saw Good Omens. Loved it. I'm not familiar with Gaiman, but Pratchett's voice shone through in quite a few places.

Trying to get into Farscape. Not really doing it for me. I'll be giving it a few more episodes.

I've been meaning to watch The End of the F***ing World season 2. First one was good.

Some upcoming stuff as well. Rick & Morty season 4 came/is coming out today, I believe. Don't know when it might reach my Netflix. Then there's Witcher next month.

Dogberry's Watch and Oscar Leigh like this.
  3. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

I'm not a TV Show guy? Unless it's something comfy like...idk, Forensic Files or MST3k.
    My only standards are Dark Shadows(original), Twink Peaks, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Twilight Zone, M*A*S*H, WKRP and Barney Miller.

And if you're wondering...no, I'm not actually that old. I inherited alot of my taste in shows from my Grandparents and Parents.

Mostly just watch youtube or old movies.

-SIN

4. love to read

love to read Senior Member

Is anyone watching the new 'War of the Worlds' series ? If so, what do you think?
    I've just watched episode 3 and 4. The start (episode 1 and 2) was quite scary, though I had difficulties to connect with the characters (i.e. I did like almost none of the main characters, which is a problem if you watch the whole thing with the thought in mind' If the world was attacked who would you like to be with (Probably not the most important thing in this situation.) and what would people do?'. Not to mention the ‘why should I care what will be happening next?’ -aspect. I know, that a character doesn't have to be likeable to be a 'good' character, but still. On the other hand, if I like a character, more often than not he or she will die in the next episode (which was also true in this case)). Anyway, in episode 3 and 4 it was much easier. Let's hope the character development will continue (which will be a challenge because there are only eight episodes). I liked the way the story was split between France and the United Kingdom. And now I've written a lot more than I intended to and used a ridiculous number of parentheses, hoping it makes sense anyway.

5. Kinzvlle

Stumptowns still great. Found a one season wonder on Hulu Last Chance. Quick fun ride, only made one season not many eps. Has the guy who played the FBI agent in White Collar playing another FBI agent...type casting.....

Having finished that up, and with it being Turkey Week I turn to MST3K a show I love, even if I didn`t watch much of the Netflix reboot. I`ll be working during the marathon this year (why can`t it be the day before like last year? Ill working then to but it still made more sens.) There also playing some stuff over there Twitch but I don`t really fuck with Twitch. In the spirt of making my own tradition i`m finally getting around to watching The Gauntlet.

Over the span of six days not back to back.

Mack to Me`s a fun it`s so bad it`s good as a ET rip off hate watch and the Riffs are humorous. The skit segments could use some work but it`s not terrible. Just not the same charm as the older skits. Joel really was a prop comedian though, so it worked.

OmniTense likes this.
  6. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Watched the first of the beeb’s War of the Worlds’ three-parter last Sunday. It was only okay.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  7. Night Herald

Watching Baby. First episode down.

I didn't expect much from this show. I only put it on to practice my Italian (Netflix Norway's selection in that regard is sparse to say the very least) but to my surprise I enjoyed this first episode a lot.

This show looks and sounds good. It is by turns giddy, tender, and visceral. The acting, camera work, music, and cast chemistry are on point, coming together into a largely pleasing whole. The story is riveting already. As far as I can tell, anyway, watching it in Italian with corresponding subs. Certain nuances are going clear over my head, no two ways about it. The language barrier prevents me from commenting, in good conscience, on the dialogue quality. It seems solid enough.

So yeah. I'll definitely keep watching, if only because Alice Pagani is ever so easy on the eyes.

Kinzvlle likes this.
  8. Kinzvlle

Movie four of the gauntlet. Finally something thats just bad and low budget not just a rip off film... not that it matters much. The riffs our good, there skits....I could do with out... Also got the news recently that there won`t be a third netflix season. The show has a massive cult following so we`ll see what happens to it.

9. Kinzvlle

Just started episode five of the last season of MST3K. I can see there strengths and there flaws now. The riffs our actually really good especially now that they`ve had time to grown into it but the skits for me have been the weakest part. Especially the invention exchanges. Joel started the invention exchanges back when the show started on public access, and he did them great he was a prop comedian. When Mike took over the show they stopped doing it because it wasn`t his fortay. He did more sketch and such in between. The new show is trying to mash both there styles when what it should do is let the new cast work with what makes them work best. The Mad`s skits have been better but it`s Felicia Day and Patton Oswald so that`s a given. Though there skits while better and interesting feel..odd when put with the rest of the show.... where the new cast really shines was in the first episode of the new series with there everywhere`s got a monster song and here with there gotta have a lot of concepts song. Musical skits I know take more time and effort but it`s where they excel. They did have one more earleir this season but it was more just a parody at being forced into making one without any heart which was...just ok. Though maybe that was there own way of saying why they don`t do more.

The invention exchange for this episode though was great. They weren`t even focusing to much on the inventions just Jonah and the bots really chewing up the scenery and fucking around with a pre modern sceine theme (all the way down to silly outfits) and Felica Day and Oswald playing off of each other. That`s where the strength is.

It`s cancelled now though...

they were learning

Though me watching this like a year or more late didn`t help i`m sure.

10. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

I fall asleep to Forensic Files or Murderous Affairs every night, haha. Something soothing about murder, I guess. Netflix removed my favorite murder show, though, and I'm still not over it. How will I know about the murders in Midsomer County without the Barnaby detectives?

Other than that, I'm kind of working on a few shows. @Night Herald if you can keep going for it, Farscape is actually quite charming and pleasant. At least, I thought so. Good Omens is outstanding. Neil Gaiman was a showrunner, so it's as close to the book as it can be, with a few odds and ends added in. The casting for it is perfect. Chef finger kiss kiss. Sublime. I'm highly biased because David Tennant in leather pants is always a fun time.

I'm watching Twin Peaks with some friends of mine and I just found out who killed Laura, and nothing is explained. It's all weird and some parts stress me out, but I'll soldier on because I must.

Night Herald and OmniTense like this.
  11. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

Love Midsomer Murders. It's hard to get hold of that show anymore, but it's good times. Wish someone would pick it and A Touch of Frost up, so I could rewatch them both.

Also, stick with Twin Peaks, there's a still a good show even after that reveal, promise

-SIN

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  12. Kinzvlle

The gauntlet is finished. They started singing right there in the riffs the last few episodes...that was gold. I don`t like the new bots. They left such a non impression in the first new season I`d forgotten them. An extra little thing ran across the screen once and I freaked out. They barely got used in The Gauntlet until the last few episodes they started using them more, in the riffs. It wasn`t good. They didn`t add anything and it just felt like interruptions. There jokes weren`t even mostly about the movie. Saying how he was gonna go do some weird shit in the corner...why....

It`s cancelled for now...shame.

Watched the newest episode of The Russel Howard Hour today on Youtube. Love this man. Some British fans put me on him back when he had his Good News show. He`s funny but he also just seems genuine, always trying to spread postivay and just good through the platforms he`s been given. This episode had the big story about fire fighters and the violence they face in England and why it has to stop. He always puts his episodes up on youtube for fans outside of the UK.

It`s great.

13. Night Herald

Watched a handful of episodes of Father Ted, that British classic. It's pretty damned funny.

Also watched the first two episodes of the brand spanking new The Witcher. It's good. Seems to be quite faithful to the games (I can't speak to the books as I haven't read them) and Henry Cavill makes for a great Geralt of Rivia.

14. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Very tempted to treat myself to the Survivors box set for Christmas - best post-apocalyptic series ever. And no, not the crappy remake (sorry, @jannert - I know you liked it)

That said, I reckon the £20 would be better spent on a bottle of half-decent gin. If I don't drink myself to death this Christmas it won't be through want of trying!

jannert likes this.
  15. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Actually, the original series was excellent, at least the first couple of years. And post-apocalyptic isolationism is probably appropriate for this particular Christmas. So yeah, go for it.

OurJud likes this.
  16. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

I'm going to vent some frustration here, and I'm totally fine if y'all wanna judge me for my taste in TV shows. Let me be clear though that I'm only watching this one because I am compelled to know how it ends even though it's absolute garbage now.

I started watching Outlander a few years ago, and then I quit because I thought it was dumb and just too full of sexy times. I'm not an innocent little nugget by any stretch of the imagination, but there's only so much I can appreciate of a sex scene before it becomes gratuitous no matter how many quarters I could bounce off the guy's ass. I appreciated the first two seasons enough to watch through both of them, and I'd read the first book of the series (I don't need to read more than one. I got all I needed to know out of it), so it was pretty faithful to it. I think the author is a consultant on the show, so it should be pretty solid.

What I liked about the first two seasons is while the focus of the show is the relationship between the two lead characters, it's also about the Jacobite uprising in Scotland during the time of Bonny Prince Charlie Stuart and so on. So it's this build up to one of the deadliest battles in history, where an entire culture is all but erased, and it's actually a good build up. The Battle of Culloden is bloody, violent, and terrifying, and they bring the main characters to a fantastic moment at the end of season two.

Season three starts out rather brilliantly, I think, but then... Oh man, then it gets to be absolutely shit. The writing is awful, the acting is forced, and I just ... I just want season two back, haha. I think what makes it so awful for me is the acting of the terrible writing. The main story is about how Claire goes through these stones into the past and she meets and falls in love with Jamie, and then she goes back through the stones at the Battle of Culloden, and then they're apart for 20 years. She then spends part of the beginning of season three getting ready to go back through the stones, and then the show just... she's suddenly on Jamie's shop's street with no explanation of how she got there, or anything, and I'm all for a good reunion, but the reunion between these fated lovers is the flattest thing I've seen since my grilled cheese sandwich for dinner, and I was much more satisfied with my sandwich.

There's way too much focus on sex, and I had the same gripe about some of the seasons of Game of Thrones. Put more of the history back into it, and I'll be way more interested. But it's boobs and blood that get people to watch TV these days, which is so dumb. Maybe I'm just old. I don't know.

Rant done now.

EFMingo likes this.
  17. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

We are watching:

The Expanse (proper sci-fi with political intrigue, ancient alien technology and new worlds)
    The Witcher (Nordic fantasy - same as the game, well done and great to look at)
    See (dystopian future full of tribal blind people, incredibly flat boring characters and dialogue, story ok, but fantastic to look at)
    The Mandalorian (of course, how could anyone let baby Yoda down?)

Kinzvlle likes this.
  18. Kinzvlle

Still been feeling disconnected from most of my regular shows. I found a new Netflix show I was enjoying binged it over the past three or two days. The Good Cop, about a pathologically honest cop and his crooked cop of a father. It`s not a flawless show and it`s not groundbreaking but it`s charming, clean, and is just a cozy show. Finished it today, googled for the next season turns out it`s been canceled. So there`s that. Allways happens with my cozy shows. Terriers, The Finder, and a few more.

19. Kinzvlle

Both The Expanse and The Witcher have great book series there based on. I don`t know if you`ve read them or not but if there not they are good reads.

EFMingo and Harmonices like this.
  20. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    I enjoy crime shows. I have binged on the Starz series "Power" and the CTV series "Bad Blood."

I occasionally watch the History channel's "Pawn Stars" and "History erased" for the interesting historical information.

Spike's "Bar Rescue" is a guilty pleasure. I enjoy watching the transformation of the old bar to the new bar and the drink/food creations. I just wish they came with samples while I watched. The drama between the staff is just plain stupid. How do adults in a workplace think they can behave like that....?????

21. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I've just completed my marathons of Xena and Buffy, getting ready to launch into Ash vs Evil Dead I think. Great series (series' ?) for me would include Breaking Bad, The Americans, and The Bridge. Oh yeah, enjoyed Better Call Saul quite a bit, and Fargo. Really dug Jessica Jones, and to a lesser extent Daredevil (Netflix). As for regular network TV, the ones I was watching before discontinuing cable were Psych and Bones, probably a few more I'm not recalling now.

Kinzvlle likes this.
  22. Kinzvlle

Still in tv limbo atm but been watching Shark an old James Wood show...well not old but...it`s decent. I watch it as I fall asleep, watching James Wood strut around is enjoyable. There`s some constancy stuff and they trot out the give your complex main character a daughter to soften him trope. Most similar to Lie to Me in its practice. Actually Lie to Me had the same constancy in story threads from episode to episode. Character beats never seem to stick in ether show.

Still gonna finish it out though.

23. Night Herald

Watched the first episode of Carnival Row, and I think I love it. Straight away it presents you with (or at least teases) the kind of rich setting you expect to see in an adaptation, but it's apparently original. Very nice to see.

It's a kind of Sherlock Holmes meets Harry Potter meets Lovecraft meets Jack the Ripper in a Steampunk Fantasy setting. And Jared Harris is in it. What's not to like?

24. TheOtherPromise

TheOtherPromise Senior Member

Currently watching three shows. (Recently finished watching The Good Place, which was great for the most part but totally failed at the ending. Should have finished a couple episodes earlier.)

As for the shows I still have:

Doctor Who:
    Really liking this season so far, best one in a while.

Avenue 5: Not usually a fan of comedy shows (despite just watching Good Place as well) but the setting reminded me too much of Wall-E for me to bypass. Pretty good so far, everything just keeps going from bad to worse for that ship.

Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure:
    Damn. Not only is the art style and animation great. The songs are amazing, though what else could you expect with Alan Menken as composer. But the character arcs are really what takes the cake for me. Let's just say I wouldn't expect some of these twists from a Disney TV show. While I can't exactly say it matches Avatar: The Last Airbender when it comes to my favorite animated series, it definitely deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence (for me).

Kinzvlle likes this.
  25. Kinzvlle

I keep wanting to try Good Place and putting it off. When it first came out I thought huh the ideas interesting and I do like Kristen Bell (big old Marshmellow here) but it`s a sitcom and while I do like certain sitcoms not generally my cup of tea. Also wasn`t sure how`d a concept like that would work stretched out in a sitcom style. Then as it went on I kinda watched it from afar play with philopshcial ideas in witty ways, have (so I`ve heard) twists, and a kinda non-sitcom style bigger plotline. Now that it`s over I might start it so I can go through it in one neat package, even if the ending isn`t great.

Finished Shark, again the show is good not great. Reminds me a lot of Lie to Me in the problems it had. It`s a good romp though, watching James Wood Strutt about as an envelope-pushing high powered attorney is a good time. Even if the character beats are inconsistent and the story beats...don`t really exist outside of a few basic things. The ending was nice enough, it was kinda odd how they had a big finale style event or at least midseason three or four eps from the actual ending that got resolved kinda to neatly. It was back in the days of the writer's strike though so that could explain it. The last episode was good, not a great show ender but they didn`t know they were being canceled. Still ending on Stark fighting for Julie was a good note.

Got myself caught up on Stumptown, loving that show. The new Grey and Hoffman storyline was kinda...written oddly...Hoffman trying to act self-righteous and it being framed like Grey has his own agenda when Hoffman forced Grey into it is all very cringe and doesn`t really make much sense with the characters or their prestanding behaviors. Ansel becoming more and more independent and Dex coping with that is a great arc though.

I started watching "Everythings Gonna be Okay" only got through one episode before I fell asleep (not because the show I just watch stuff at bedtime) but I am enjoying it. Been looking forward to this one from the ads and that`s not a normal thing. The plot being two sisters one of who is autistic being cared for by there half brother who they don`t really know to much. It`s a nice heartwarming thing, full of awkward moments that our kinda hard to watch but there supposed to be awkward because it`s an awkward situation. It`s really nice so far, and as someone who is both Autistic and LGBT there representation of those characters (the sister and their brother and his boyfriend) is both great and refreshing. Probably because the actors actually our members of said groups. Marking the first on the spectrum actor to actually play an on the spectrum character in a leading role. It`s all just great, Josh Thomas who both plays the brother and writes the show is as always a wonderful genius both comedicly and just connecting to very very human things.