1. nykeron

nykeron New Member

Do you read in any other language?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by nykeron, Dec 31, 2012.

Do you read in any other language other than english?
    Do you read a specific kind of books in one langue or another?

I read in Italian, French, English and Arabic and I can say that I do not read the same kind of books in every language.
    French inspires me more bohemians books (mainly written directly in French, as I do not like very much french translators and translations), or very deep books.
    Arabic is for me a way of experimenting new ways of reading and I do admit that thinking in arabic makes me think with a total different point of view.
    English is more for funny or uncomplicated things, to spend time.
    Italian, well, it's my mother tongue, so it inspires me the parfume of home, of food, of everything. I prefer childlish stories, or greeks myths, or things that reminds me of my past.

What about you?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm only fluent in English. However, I read fiction (slowly) in Spanish and Italian to improve my ability in those languages. I've also read German, mostly for customer support matters, but years ago to collect background information when I was a research chemist.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I can read in French, and I tend to read novels more than anything else. For things like essays, I prefer English translations.

I can also read very basic stuff in Greek, though it has been a very long time since I've actually read anything.

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I can read very basic French, Latin and Italian. That's pretty much it.

I can speak a little Russian too but I can't read Cyrillic.

5. Oak7ree

Oak7ree Member

Well, English isn't my native language, but I do some reading in English to improve my skills. I read the most of my books in Finnish, but I could (in theory) read in German or Swedish, but they aren't my strong points. I can also understand something in Spanish (only a word or two here and there though).

6. afrodite7

afrodite7 New Member

-I mostly do English but occasionally Spanish to improve. Its actually easy for me at this point...now if I could just speak the language ...

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Is there any Spanish language TV programming where you live? It helps.

8. nykeron

nykeron New Member

Actually you can try to google something as well. I can see arabic series on my laptop even being in Switzerland because there's a website with a lot of arabic movies and series. I think it should exist for Spanish as well!

9. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Even though Swedish is my language of birth, I mostly read in English these days, at least as far as novels go. This is mainly because of three reasons:
    -I love the English language.
    -I figure the best way to improve reading and writing skills with a language is to read texts written in that language.
    -The and books are a lot better in their original languages.

Of course, I still read some novels in Swedish, as well as everything else I've got on paper, since I live in Sweden.

Then I do know Spanish (I have studied it in school for 5 years), though sadly I haven't got around starting to read Spanish literature yet.

10. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I've done some reading in German, but it was years ago when my German classes were still fresh in my mind. I also self-taught myself to read Norwegian while working on my genealogy - it also meant many many trips to the translator! But I was getting pretty good at it anyway.

11. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I can read pretty well in spanish, but I haven't really tried reading fiction in spanish. Even though I good at it, reading in a language other than my own doesn't stimulate me in the same way.