Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Oasis Writer, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topper

topper New Member

In pain and yet oddly relieved?

2. El902

El902 New Member

Oh now, now.

I wouldn't burn the book. I wouldn't burn any book. Not even the worst book... I am amazed at how this series ever got the attention it got, but ANY piece of fiction is worth... I can't think of anything that Stephani Meyer would deserve for writing that crap but you get the jist (my firefox is telling me that 'jist' isn't a word... odd).

Although I wouldn't take back a thing I said, nor the gagillion things I screamed whilst reading it, the woman put a lot of time (not talent or heart, but time) into them. I would argue its worth 'till my dying day but I wouldn't exactly flame it (figuratively or otherwise ;)).

Unless my first post is considered a flame... I pointed out the few good qualities though :D

El

3. anntoucan

anntoucan New Member

Twilight. Im a huge fan of those of the "melodramatic teen books" i think that Stephanie Meyer's isn't about " Henry i just can't take it any more," still picture crap. It makes alot of sense, i think. I don't think that Myers was trying to attract the adult stand point. I think her stlye is more for teenager's, for those who haven't lost the sence of imagination, and think everything has to be like you live you die bull****. I'm a big sap for romace. How everything should be a cinderelle story. Were i find prince charming, i am swept off my feet onto a steed that carries us off in to the sunset, right. I have read a lot of books for how long i have been alive.But i think her writing is somthing even young boys can relate too an i do belive we were all like children once in our lives,
    Anyhow if you read the books and you don't like them then that is fine, that is your opinion. But if you haven't read the books and your bashing on them becasue they are putting your Harry Potter out of busniess, get a new hobby and just stop throwing a big childish fit about the whole thing.
    Stephanie Meyers isn't the top story book wirter, she has captured what teenage girl's dream about all the time. i think she just took the feeling that Bram Stoker was trying to get passed everyone with dracula.
    if you are looking for somthing that is more adult try not looking in the teen section for books to read, ask the libraian for the adult section.

4. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

The age it is written for does not excuse the lack of skill. My books are intended for teens. Do you think I put any less effort into the quality than someone writing for adults? Do you think any talented youth/children's writer does?

5. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

Exactly.

Oh, and I'm a teenager... Why don't the books appeal to me? Because I can write better.

6. anntoucan

anntoucan New Member

no i don't belive that any writer doesn't put out the same amount of effort into a piece of writing that they do, but i do belive that every writer has a voice. That voice isn't like everyone elses, my problem is, i think that the Twilight series is a really good book, she has some things that i probely wouldn't word the way she does but it works for her. you know. i mean look at the way that Chuck Palanuick or J.K Rowlings. It works for them and only them.the way she writes seems to work with the younger generation now a days. She brings you to know the characters. somone that someone could look at a relate too, my younger brother at the moment is having girl probelms he hasn't quite figured out how he can talk to girls yet so he finds himslef to be more realted to the way that jacob feels towards bella. My thoughts our, you know if it doesn't work for you then it doesn't. but it doesn't mean you have to spend your time ridacule someone who it works for and now is making money becasue she manage to get into someone mind. you know wht i mean, it just irratating. i don't understand why poeple spend so much time complaing about somthing they don't write when they could be useing what they dont' like about that certain book to make their piece of writing better.

7. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

So if you dont like teenage melodrama you have no imagination. *Looks at X-Rays of my brain* Nope. Imagination is still in there. I just have a standard that things be sensable which melodrama never is (sort of why it's most common among teens and really preppy adults. It's not suppose to make sense it's sadly pathetic by nature.).

I like my romances too. Maybe I just expect my romantically involved characters to be likable. You should see my criticisms of romance Manga and Anime. Man I can be vicious :p.

I agree. I think that's the whole magic for the series. It really strikes a cord for the prince charming types very well and I can see that. I also think that literature for the past few years has sort of been lacking a new fresh look on the whole PC type character and romance story which may also help in Twilights popularity.

I'm confused... dracula was a horror story and actually very well written. Kind of the opposite of a poorly written romance novel... then again I might just misunderstand what you mean. EDIT: Oh wait I think I get it. Do you mean the seduction of Mina by the count bit? I suppose I could see the connection there.

I like the teen section. Lots of nice books in there. Twilight just isn't one of the better ones. And Like Rei said. No matter what group you write for is no excuse for poor quality.

PS: never read Harry Potter, don't intend too. I'm not a big fan of fantasy for the most part. I'll read sci-fi, romance, and maybe an occasional thriller or drama but other than that other genres don't hold my interest (which is odd because I am a big fan of mythology so you'd think fantasy would be right up my alley).

Well mostly cause I'm bored XD. That we might find it irritating other people keep praising it. A fact of life and disagreement sadly. I'll give credit where it's due but I find only a few things in Twilight praise worthy (mainly the very strong immersive opening for the first novel and writing an excellent supporting cast which I've already mentioned my praise and disappointment for).

8. anntoucan

anntoucan New Member

i am too, i know i can write well but everyone has their own way of writing so why spend so much time on saying rude things about someone who obviousely has more talent if they are selling a book and making a movie, spend the time you are complaing about how bad the writing. you should be spending more time on make yourself better as a writer so that you can go and find someone who is willing to make a movie out of your book.

9. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Just getting published doesn't mean you have talent. She got published and thats about it. I've seen better authors here who haven't been published at all. Success in the human world tends to be less about ability and more about hard work and a massive amount of dumb luck (yeah it does suck :(). Meyer met the ahrd work bit by actually writing a novel, and the dumb luck part can't really be denied if you know Twilight's publishing history (I spend a lot of time on the net...).

10. anntoucan

anntoucan New Member

dracula wasn't a horror story like everyone thinks it is. Dracula is also a romance. it is about a man who is turn into a monster adn wants to be with the one person that he loves in the whole world. that is wht it is about, in my theatre class that one piece we defantly took the time to analze it is a really touching story.

11. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Ok I see the connection now. I'd still call it horror though since it can be both horror and romance. I do see what you mean though. I've always pulled a bigger connection to Romeo and Juliet personally.

12. anntoucan

anntoucan New Member

Most def. i clearly agree on both things you say. There are alot of great writers who havent been published, but why spend so much time critizing someone who has clearly got somewhere, instead of working on their own breaks. idk. but as for dracula an romeo an juliet they both ended in a selfish tragedy.

13. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I don't think she deserved to get somewhere.
    I don't think she spent enough time on her story.
    I think they just published her because they knew it was going to sell, especially to the young teenage girl industry.
    [If you haven't realize I'm still a teen and well I'm not allowed in the adult section the bookstore was really mean to me about the adult section]
    In this world we are always going on about quality and quantity.
    But when it comes to the book industry, I'm finding that most of the time there is no quality.
    That its just something that will sell and they know it will sell.
    I'm finding that I don't think they take any time to actually sit down and think is this really quality.
    In this world we always go on about quality food, quality stories, quality clothes, quality technology, etc.
    But when its a book, its okay if it isn't quality.
    I want quality in my stories and that wasn't quality in my opinion.
    She took the time to write, that's good for her, she took the time to write and didn't produce quality, that's good for her.
    But she shouldn't have thought "I spent so much time on this, its time" she should have looked at it, and edited it.

14. anntoucan

anntoucan New Member

listening to the graphic design teacher you know a days it is n't about quantity. or quality it, that stuff doesn't sell at all, now a days it is about the name on the product that you are buying, hints twilight of coarse when she was writing it she was wanting to go for the teenage girls duh that is why she worte it something for a teenage girls to fall in love with. sorry if you want somthing that shows all those criteria then go for somthing that has sex drugs and violence. becasue that is wht sells.

15. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I don't like stories about sex, drugs, and violence.
    I like stories with complexity and density.
    Something that is deep and reads into human psychology.
    But it also reads into humanity and human fears as well.
    But when I do read a romance novel or any other novel, there are things I like to see.
    Conflict.
    Reality, does this seem realistic.
    And all that mumbo jumbo.
    But I still look, even with that mumbo jumbo, I still look for what I like in it deep, psychology[doesn't even really have to be human], emotion, etc.

I like stories that are quality.
    I look for quality stories.
    Quality is what I like.

16. anntoucan

anntoucan New Member

every writer has there flaws, but who are 2 say a writer is bad when they arnt ur brand of haroin. just b/c u think she doesnt have wht ur looking for doesnt make it bad. just not ur genre.

17. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

No, I don't even think it was written well enough.
    If it was my genre, I would still think it wasn't written well.

18. anntoucan

anntoucan New Member

anyhow tht is ur thoughts just dont waste your time complaing about how bad it is. and just take the weaknesses it has an grow as a better writer. tht is wht i belive.

19. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I don't waste my time complaining.
    I have been reading other books and have already learned from that book.
    And I'm currently learning from a better book.

20. anntoucan

anntoucan New Member

good idea, i enoyed the books, finishing the forth up. kinda excited 2 see how bella gets edward 2 read her mind, then it's snuff by chuck palanuick.

21. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

I'll agree about the time spent on Twilight. Three months? I realize that writers all write at different paces, but for a first novel, I would have written Twilight, written something else, maybe something after that, and then went back and edited Twilight. I look back on things I wrote six months ago. I wasn't much different then I am now, but I was able to find imperfections that I never noticed.

And of course they would publish her if she would sell. Money can be a freaking monster in just about any kind of business.

22. DarkMaiden273

DarkMaiden273 New Member

I am trying to write a novel now, but I started it last April. Yes all writers write at a different pace. Though I have found that looking back at what i wrote then and what i wrote yesterday for example, i have changed and grown a lot. My work then sounds like it came from a four year old compared to now.
    Twilight i think could have had a little more thought put into it, it seemed as though she was racing to catch up in the fourth book, like she hadnt known what to do and had made it up on the spot, but i think all in all it was a good read, whethere or not it was ur usual genre.

23. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Well I got about half way through New Moon before I stopped. I am regretting that a bit now, and may start reading it again. But the characters just annoyed me a bit and it's not my type of book. Maybe after the rush has died down I'll read again but am not for now. I DID see the movie and thought it was good. Although they cut out the finger prick in Science part, one of my favorite parts. And they he "flew" annoyed me but over all it was a good movie.

24. cwpcreator

cwpcreator New Member

One of my biggest peeves with Twilight is the way it's justified for vampires to be roaming around in the daytime. Really? It's cloudy all the time? What a frakkin cop out. Seriously. Now I know Buffy and Angel had vamps AWAKE during the day, but they weren't wandering out on the streets. They stayed inside or underground. Maybe Meyer should do a little research before she writes. What does she think gives people sunburns when its cloudy? The heat?

And another thing...if he's a vampire, why the hell is he still going to high school? Make the setting and characters more believable and maybe then I'll be able to actually read them without laughing.

25. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Because such is the purpose of this portion of the forum. We are here to discuss what we like, dislike, got from, did not understand in a given piece of work. In this thread, the discussion is the Twilight series.

I've not read the books. I did go to see the movie this past weekend. (sunday) I walked out halfway through. It is only the second time in my life I have done that. The first was the movie Lady Killers.

I did not realize that Twilight was a vampire soap opera. Me no likie soap operas. It was REALLY young, REALLY angstie, REALLY formulaic.

Two thumbs down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.