Twitter?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by HKB, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I have one. I am TheNerdQueen. I am not a private person, so this is right up my alley.

2. Benska

Benska New Member

Haha, a few years ago, this kind of thing would've been called stalking. You know, keeping track of someone's every activity throughout the day, without their knowledge (of who exactly is "following" them).

3. de locke

de locke New Member

Your arguements are redundant. You control the security and what information you supply on social networking. If you don't want to put up pictures then you don't have too.........

4. HKB

HKB New Member

Except that stalking is unwanted attention regarding activity that you may want to keep private. And, that you know who is following you on twitter. So really, you're not making any sense at all!
    What is with this weird idea that people are made complete victims of what information they choose to give out on the internet?
    Do you talk to people at work? Do they know your name and your face and your approximate whereabouts and activities? DANGER DANGER! pfft. And those people have physical access to you!

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

In a workplace, you don't have millions of people roaming about looking for targets.

Social networking sites expose you on a scale that has no analog in offline life. You MUST remain security conscious at all times. Unfortunately, many people pay no attention to these hazaqrds until they become victims, whether it be physical attacks or identity theft. Your online life does intersect with your offline life, and no one should ever forget that, or downplay it.

6. Benska

Benska New Member

I don't go to work, silly. :p. Also, I didn't mean to say that it was dangerous(though I think it can be. See: Cog's post); I was simply stating that following the every activity of any one person would have been classified as "stalking" in years past. I know, too, that it is information that they choose to give out, and they're fully aware that there are people reading it, just not exactly who. There could be, if you'll excuse the cliche, a 40 year old man masquerading as someone much, much younger reading your updates, or whatever they're refered to on twitter. I don't know about you, but I would probably classify that as "unwanted attention."

See, plenty of sense ;).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.