Two arguments on a book title

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Rinose, Mar 19, 2018.

?

Which title is better?

1. An Age of Darkness

20.0%
  2. The Time Bender

40.0%
  3. The Prophet of Time

40.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rinose

Rinose Banned

Maybe I'm miss understanding your meaning of generic because when I think of generic, I think of a title that is not specific in what the story has to offer or a title that uses themes that are repetitive in other stories.

2. Rinose

Rinose Banned

This is very helpful! When I heard people talking about the titles being generic, It's hard for me to know what they mean by that. This helps a lot with clearing that whole thing up. The only thing I'm still confused about is how do I make the title interesting and intriguing, yet also have it connect with the story?

Mckk likes this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

The Prophet of Time sounds like a Black Sabbath album. Just saying....

Honestly, all three of them have that generic fantasy feel to them. You could move the words of all three of them around without losing the vibe, which signals to me that none of the keywords are very key at all.

Shenanigator likes this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Yep - they are all generic fantasy name generator fodder ... my feeling is finish the book first then worry about the title - every one of my books (i'm curently writing #4) I've changed the name at least once anyway

5. HisQueen23

HisQueen23 Banned

I love An Age of Darkness and The Prophet of Time. The Time Bender is so generic and really reminds me of The Last Air Bender. I would totally read the ones I like. I’ve read the comments and I really don’t see how y’all think it’s generic and not good, especially seeing that those people saying this are hypocritical. I’ve been published 3 times, and not self published either, I think if you’re really gonna help this person choose a great book title, you shouldn’t be hypocritical and you should at least know what you’re talking about. All in all love The Prophet of Time!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Rinose likes this.
  6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'm not sure what you mean by the latter part of your post - top tip, insults and ad hominems are not a great start to your forum career

On the former part of the point w'all think its generic because its generic

"Age of darkness" has been used by Christian Dunn for a WH40K anthology and by Brandon Chen in his fantasy series, and by Lm Mendolia in their fantasy series,and as a fantasy series title by Stephen Aryan, and as a fantasy podcast tiltle, and as a fantasy comic title by Joe Brusha

Prophet of time is better in that it has not as far as a cursory and half arsed google can tell been used as a fantasy title , but "Prophet of .... " various other stuff is very heavily used.

(also if His queen has really been published 3 times on trad deals he/she will know that in a trad deal the publishing house has some say in the title, so it is even more likely to change from a working title than a self pub book)

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  7. awkwarddragon

awkwarddragon Member

I agree with @big soft moose. Who's to say a reader will read OP's An Age of Darkness?

8. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Where are you seeing hypocrisy?

John-Wayne and ChickenFreak like this.
  9. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

With your very, very first post, you enthusiastically agree with one (fairly new) poster and throw unfounded insults at everyone disagreeing with that poster.

Interesting.

10. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I think perhaps you are mislead as to the meaning of the word hypocritical, like, at a technical level. It requires a comparison of behavior, which is not in play here.

Here’s a term for you: troll
    Here’s another: banned

11. big soft moose

coming back to the OP with thus synopsis

"Starting out, At the start of the novel, Jayden is going through severe depression over losing his best friend, Skye. Which, is the first real look at the Age of Darkness that is consuming his life. The book continues with him running away from home, losing his arm, and being told about his destiny to kill The Black Knight(Valadia.) This is yet another example of how a new age is formed by Valadia to end him and the children of light. Hence "An Age of Darkness." This is the start of the new age. That's the main reason why I feel it ties with the book well."

I'm not seeing how either 'time bender' or 'prophet of time' are relevant to the story at hand

I was going to say that "the children of light" would be a good series title ... but its already the title of a theological work by Reinhold Neibuhr

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  12. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Shit-ton'o sockpuppets. Not just the two...

:closed:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.