1. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

Would flash forwarding ruin this series?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by DeathandGrim, Oct 9, 2015.

I'm going ahead with a story series I wanted to start off with a flash forward showing the MC twenty years later. I'm doing this because I originally intended for this story to be a prequel, but due to its actual length I thought writing it first would be better. I wanted to start off the first story with a flash forward of showing who she has become and will be in the sequel series.

I'm not going to be showing much and I don't intend on revealing it's the MC, but there's some events that I want to show her adult self reflecting on before they actually happen as well as probe her more experienced mind a bit. However I'm worried that this could potentially spoil the suspense in some parts of the prequel. Including parts where her ass is on the line or her life is in danger and I don't want to entirely ruin those moments by eventually revealing she's gonna live anyway. Would it be smart to flash forward anyway as foreshadowing?

2. ShalaylaW

ShalaylaW Member

Well, I suppose it all depends on what you wish to flashforward to. I think there's no harm in the idea as long as it doesn't spoil anything. Though, whenever there is a flashforward, it's usually a hint in itself that the MC will survive. I've seen a few where it surprises me and the author kills the MC, and to be perfectly honest I found it a better story. In the story I'm writing, I actually was going to make a prequel as well, but instead thought a progression of time over 3 books would work better (that's just my story though)
    I think flash forwarding is kind of a cool concept, no matter what, so if you think it'd work, go for it.

DeathandGrim likes this.
  3. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

I just had an idea of making the flash forward as a secondary storytelling method. Having moments from the flash forward slightly foretell events from the past. Alright as people don't mind that some parts could be spoiled. The MC making it out probably shouldn't be such a big deal to know, but it might make her life threatening moments seem disingenuous. But that's mostly a small gripe.

ShalaylaW likes this.