1. Fronzizzle

Fronzizzle Member

Two more dumb questions on formatting submittals

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Fronzizzle, Mar 10, 2021.

Hello all,

I have a couple of questions regarding formatting:

1) Way, way back when I was in school, we were taught to use two spaces after a period. I believe this is a remnant of the typewriter era, and I've read that when using modern word processors that it's better to use one space. When submitting a query letter, writing example, synopsis, or whatever, should there be one space or two after the period? Does it matter?

2) A lot of what I see and read asks for "the first 50 pages". Is it safe to assume that the right thing to do is submit EXACTLY 50 pages, regardless of where a chapter ends? The OCD part of me struggles with cutting something off mid-chapter, though I know it probably doesn't matter.

Thanks.

Saviette likes this.
  2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

1. No double space. That's from the world of typewriters, like you said. Worprocessors format that for you. Like this phone I'm typing on.

2. 50 pages around a natural stopping point, I would imagine. Maybe that's 47 or 52 pages. Cutting it off mid sentence would be kind of

3. Fronzizzle

Fronzizzle Member

Outstanding response.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  4. Saviette

Saviette Banned

1. Always do one space after a period, they've changed how things are formatted.

2. If your chapter doesn't end at 50 pages it's usually okay to go a little over, as long as it's only to finish the chapter and you don't go into another.