1. forever_learning

forever_learning New Member

Brainstorming!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by forever_learning, Apr 5, 2015.

Hi! I'm a new member, just joined. I'm not really much of a writer, however, I'm always thinking about new characters, I like to think up names and appearance and personality attributes, with several I've been holding on to to possibly write about.

I've had this idea in my head for a couple of days, figure I might make a go at it, but I'm not really sure where to start. Do I just start writing? Do I need more of a synopsis?

My idea is generally that "What if, you could wake up one morning and know a brand new, alien language? Be fluent in this pseudo-jibberish, mix up your words while at school or work, and not really know what your saying, until you start to put a pattern together. Then, although it may sound cliche, what if alien's land on Earth and they are fluent in this language, and you are the only human on Earth who's able to communicate with them and figure out why they are here?"

Just something that's been bouncing around in my head. I'm not expecting much out of it, although I'd prefer nobody else to use this prompt, unless it's been done before.

I hope to get to know everybody on this site! Thank you and have a nice day!

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. Lance Schukies

Lance Schukies Active Member

3. Lance Schukies

Lance Schukies Active Member

I found this book helps 'James V. Smith Fiction Writer's Brainstormer' it helped me, in summary write a description of your story, plan at least 10 scenes, plan the characters. I then added a props to my brainstorming plan.

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hi welcome to the forum.
    Yes.

Most new writers start with an outline or a very rough draft of the story then they begin writing. People with more of a knack or the style just works better for them begin the book or story and let the story develop on the page.

I wrote out a decent draft before I stated writing but it was nothing one would consider a well written draft.

5. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

even some of us who fly by the seat of our pants have some kind of idea, even if it isnt always written on paper. I'd suggest making notes on it first before diving in.

6. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

Buy a notebook and carry it everywhere with you. Then write down any ideas that come in your head through out the day/week/month. Then maybe sit down and see which ideas could fit in to your storyline. Develop an outline, what's the motives, dangers, goals of characters. Practice makes perfect - so the more work you put in the better a writer you will be.