1. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Senior Member

Novel Two steps forward, two steps back

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by TheApprentice, Sep 21, 2016.

Sounds like good exercise to do many times over, right? But it does little but aggravate you when you are doing this with your writing projects. I have been working on a novel on and off for a while, and what always happens is I will write a page, decide I want to do it differently, then either erase what I wrote and try to think of how I want to type it from there or I leave it and decide to come back to it later. Now I think you can guess where this gets me.

Do you have the same problem? How do you deal with it?

2. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

You just have to keep trucking on. My first draft was in the present tense and then I realized how terrible of an idea that was so I had to go back and change almost everything (90,000 words). I changed most of the story too. And since then I have constantly gone back and reworked scenes and how they played out which affected previous and later scenes. I've written almost every word of the entire story three times at this point. I cannot ignore an idea that I believe enhances the story so I always go back and rework things. I just can't let it go. Some scenes have probably been rewritten over ten times, some paragraphs over twenty. Writing is only part of being a writer, it's mostly rewriting and editing. Over and over and over again. That's just how it is if you want it to be as good as it can be. Every time I work on it, it gets a little bit better (or so the plan is) and I think that's what keeps me going through all the monotony. That and knowing every hour spent makes me a better writer and hopefully less prone to making the same mistakes on future projects.

All that and the feeling you get when you've finished a draft. Ohhh the feeling :)

3. Orsondewitt

Orsondewitt New Member

I had this when I wrote my first story. I rewrote many of the scenes many times until I was satisfied. It's okay, just keep both versions and look back at it every once in a while.