1. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

Typing Speed & Techniques

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Snoopingaround, Oct 24, 2011.

How fast can you type? I am wondering because many of us on these kinds of forums obviously do more typing than most people generally, and I was curious about my standings in terms of speed relative to others in this group. The standard is usually expressed in WPM, or words per minute, a word in this case consisting of 5 keystrokes. I think that regardless of how fast one can type, one can probably type faster because most people seem to get into a certain typing speed category and stay there without considering improving their speed. Much like driving a car or in cooking, it seems that most folks reach a certain level and stay there, quite content with whatever level of ability they have attained, so long as they don't run into other cars or overcook the chicken on a regular basis. This is perfectly fine of course, but I have recently taken an interest on increasing my typing ability after finding out my own speed, which is a paltry 45 WPM. This is actually fairly good, compared with the average speed (which is about 30 WPM) but I want to do better, and thus be more efficient and productive while engaging in activities such as online writing forums. Would you fast typers happen to have any special techniques to offer or suggestions? I guess what I can do now is practice at not having to look at the keyboard too often, to start...

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I have no idea. I type very fast, but that's because I've spent a lot of my career writing computer software. When a line of code is needed, it just appears from under my fingers.

This is not the case with writing prose. I can type fast enough when transcribing my handwritten stuff into the computer, but when I'm writing original material I'm as slow as a sloth. My speed is not limited by my fingers, it's limited by my brain.

Why does it matter how fast you type? I've never heard of any famous writer who thought this was a consideration. You don't get Nobel Prizes for Literature for typing speed.

3. shyxter

shyxter New Member

I share the same, Minstrel. I have some transcribing jobs and I can type fast enough to go with the conversation. But when it comes to creative writing, I am slow too and cannot seem to use all my fingers in typing.

I guess being a fast-typist contributes a lot to getting work done quickly, but what matters in the end is the quality of your work or story :).

4. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I don't type with speed. I type with DANCING! Like, I do finger pirouettes and stuff.

Seriously, though, I put absolutely no faith in typing speed/words-per-minute and all that rubbish. That's like saying that your car can go 190km/h. Of course it can, but it doesn't do that constantly, you know? I've typed incredibly quickly before, but usually I type at what I'd consider a relatively mediocre speed for someone who spends as much time on a computer as we do. It also depends on the keyboard I'm using. I've only just started getting used to the keyboard on my new laptop, whereas desktop keyboards are far too bumpy for me to use with any such speed.

5. Allan Paas

Allan Paas New Member

Typing speed is important if you type slower than your brain works. To keep up with your thoughts before you forget what you had in mind.

6. pk.

pk. Active Member

I type tremendously slow, last time I checked it was 40 words per minute BEFORE I permanently crippled my right hand, which is now only capable of typing with the index finger, my left hand is still all good though (phew!)

7. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

Just did a test: 65 WPM with 3 mistakes. When I write, I probably keep this speed up. I think quick when I do write - I pause every now and then, so probably down to 55 WPM.

Baoding balls, wrist stretches, and four-finger push ups work well.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've never timed myself, but thanks to years and years and years of doing it and the advent of the computer, with it's quick-correction ability, i can now type as fast as i can think of what to type...

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I can do 70 or 80 wpm. I don't type the right way. I started out as a hunt and peck typist, and I do more or less the same thing now, but I don't have to look at the keyboard any more, which really helps with speed.

10. Loopstah

Loopstah New Member

About 50-60 WPM. It all depends on what keyboard I'm using though. I'm used to the keys on my laptop so I can touch type most of the time.
    I type much slower on other keyboards as my fingers don't know where the keys are

I'm also a lot faster typing out things I think up compared to copying something.

11. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

The speeds listed so far seem fairly typical of people who write on keyboards at least occasionally. Obviously, if you have no practice or have not really spent much time on a computer since school, then your time will probably be much slower. One thing I noticed is that some posters have listed their speed along with the number of errors they had. Keep in mind that the definition of typing is speed is how fast you can type without making any errors on the keyboard. So for example if you have a WPM rate of 55, but have 3 mistakes, then your typing speed isn't really 55, but probably slightly less than that. Also, a WPM of 40 is not "tremendously slow", as a matter of statistical fact it is within average range. Above 65 WPM would be considered exceptional, with rates of 90+ being unusual and 100+ being truly gifted. The fastest typists in the world can achieve around 130+ WPM for the english language.

12. Clumsywordsmith

Clumsywordsmith Active Member

In general, my typing can keep pace with the speed of my mind, so it's usually fast enough for me.

When typing just for sheer speed -- no real pause, just constant expressing of thoughts as they come to me -- I average around 100 wpm.

When playing one of those typespeed games, where I'm writing down a phrase as I read it, I can average about 130s, peaking at about 180.

But when trying to compose a bit of actual writing, my typing is almost irrelevant in the scheme of things.

And I wouldn't say 90+ would be unusual or even exceptional anymore. The world record is supposedly around 210+ wpm. I know lots of people who can type in the 90+ range, and would say it's considered more of a standard than anything else.