1. Night Dream

Night Dream New Member

Question for Arab writers!

Discussion in 'Research' started by Night Dream, Feb 24, 2023.

Hi!
    My question is: is it okay if I give my Oc an Arabic name even if they're not Arab?
    Her dad is not from Earth (my story is a fanasy one that takes place in Earth) and her mom is a phoenix (of course she has a human form) who is from Earth, but she as a individual has no human ethnicity, you can't say she's "white" or "black" as you can't say she's "Italian" or "English" for example. They do live in London, however.
    So I would like to know if they can name her daughter with an Arabic name. The name is "Kamari" and Google says it means "moon" in Arab, is that true?
    Please help me out and sorry for my bad English, but it's not my first language.
    Also, please tell me if I said something offensive or else, I would like you to educate me [​IMG]

2. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I'm not an Arab, but I was a Middle Eastern dancer for forty years. Many dancers took Arabic stage names, and I don't recall many negative comments about the practice. Kamari has Swahili roots, by the way, and I've heard it used for babies in the USA.

3. Night Dream

Night Dream New Member

Thank you for your reply! :)