1. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

horse treats

Discussion in 'Research' started by w. bogart, Feb 12, 2023.

What treats would a character give a horse in a fantasy setting. I know about apples, and ruled out sugar cubes.

Not the Territory likes this.
  2. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

carrots

3. Toxnurse

Toxnurse Member

They like most leafy green vegetables, carrots, apples, pears, oat based cookies, and sweet, fruit based breads like banana bread. One of ours also likes Dr. Pepper and will steal the can right out of your hands if you're not paying attention.

We had one that once stole and scarfed down a cheeseburger, but that's definitely not the norm.

Dewey and Terbus like this.
  4. Terbus

Terbus Active Member

Currently Reading::
    To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini
    Carrots and basked goods with fruit. I'd remember that some horses will bite if given treats and others can't have the sugar. Mine happens to fall into both categories. Also, by bite, I don't mean when being given the treat, I mean they will bite all the time unless they have something in their mouth. It's a frustrating and painful behaviour to deal with.

5. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

My mare loved carrots and hated apples. I handed her a slice of apple one day instead of the carrot she expected. She spit the offensive thing out and gave me a look that could've curdled cream. She and our gelding also liked oat mixture "cookies," senior feed mixed with molasses and grain, and handfuls of fresh green grass. We had to limit the gelding's intake of highly delicious treats because he was a colic boy. My mare had a cast iron stomach. Sigh. Both gone now. I miss them terribly.

montecarlo and Dewey like this.
  6. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

Mine loved dry brown bread, carrots, also pumpkin and strawberries