UK Writers to boycott school visits

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Banzai, Jul 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

A few people here have said it doesn't apply in Scotland; but I'm going to check that ;)

2. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I agree that it's an excellent idea to run a background check, because kids need to be kept safe, but not every person out there is horrible, and bad people aren't lurking everywhere, so I don't know.

3. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I think this all makes much more sense with this information. If schools were charging volunteers who just came in once to talk to the students, then I would think it was a little ridiculous, but honestly, I don't see anything wrong with requiring speakers who you pay to come every few weeks and talk to students to get a background check and all that. Sure, not everyone is a creeper, but I would rather someone go through a background check than just assume that they're cool to be around my kid.

4. Seppuku

Seppuku New Member

My only remaining criticism would be that 'are these checks going to guarantee that a person isn't a pedo?' Personally I think the system might put people a little off guard, because some might just look at it and automatically assume that because they have a legal certificate that they're safe. If I was a politician I might have suggested finding a different system....but then they might have implemented other regulations along the side, so they might have considered it.