1. KickMe

KickMe New Member

Um, which button do I press?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KickMe, Mar 29, 2008.

Hello everybody :)

I'm new to writing. Well, I've been doing it all my life on and off in small bursts, but suddenly have the urge to go for it a bit!

I've been concentrating on automatic writing songs, but when you see them written down as poems, they just kind of go "yeah yeah yeah" a lot! Better with a guitar, I think...

I grew up on Roald Dahl, Douglas Adams and short story science fiction. I read a LOT of really, really bad science fiction when I was a kid and used to think "Whoah, I could do that!"

I want to have a bash at every genre and see if I can get short stories sold. Magazines and stuff, but I really don't know where to start! Which genre would be the most profitable? Man, I sound like a sellout :rolleyes:

I'm just really wanting to write again, but I'm so skint and panicky I'm looking for getting into it as part of the "fun ways I can make money" list.

I'm 31 and have nothing to show for it :D Any advice you can give me on profitable genres, magazines etc would be helpful. I don't want to join one of these "Make money from stuff" websites, I just need friendly people to tell me how crap I am...

Thanks

Karl

2. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

Hey, KickMe:) Welcome to the forums. I've no doubt you'll find plenty of people who'll be only too happy to make your wish come true!;)

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Karl, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

I am no prophet proferring processes toward profit. I do believe that if you write about the things that touch your soul, that is what is most likely to appeal to others as well.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well!

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

4. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

welcome to the forums KickMe, i hope this will be something you can enjoy:)