1. archer88i

    archer88i Banned Contributor

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    Messages:
    839
    Likes Received:
    429

    Bug Report Unable to access site from home computer after updating chrome

    Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by archer88i, Sep 6, 2017.

    Specifically, I allowed Chrome to install an update while editing a response on the site, after which the autosave mechanism started flipping out. When I attempted to post my reply, I got a generic error page. I can access the site from my phone (obviously), but it seems like my home IP is broken somehow.

    (Edit: the error page in question says "site took too long to respond.")
     
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  2. archer88i

    archer88i Banned Contributor

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    Messages:
    839
    Likes Received:
    429
    This problem has addressed itself. Whatever resource was stuck has timed out? ...Or someone went and kicked the machine to make it let go of something. :)

    Edit: well, the immediate problem anyway.
     
  3. Komposten

    Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Supporter Contributor

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2012
    Messages:
    3,018
    Likes Received:
    2,193
    Location:
    Sweden
    It is possible that the update corrupted some script or something on your end. Usually this kind of problems get fixed if you clear the browser's cache (and possibly also cookies, if clearing the cache doesn't solve it).
    So if something is still broken, give that a try.
     
  4. archer88i

    archer88i Banned Contributor

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    Messages:
    839
    Likes Received:
    429
    Nope, that wasn't it. See, the thing that made this really interesting is that the site was no longer accessible from any machine on my network. The first thing I did was clear data on my desktop (Chrome Dev Tools > Application > Clear Storage > Clear Site Data), which wipes service workers, local and session storage, cookies, cache, etc... No dice. When that didn't work, I immediately booted up my macbook to give the site a try on that, and that didn't work either. Of course, the mac wasn't even running when the problem started, so it couldn't be effected by the whole chrome update thing.

    Then I tethered my phone to the macbook and refreshed the page. Using my phone's cellular data, the page worked fine. Hoping that might have broken loose whatever was wrong on the server side (as, by this point, it was pretty clear this problem was not a client side issue), I went ahead and un-tethered the phone to try my local connection again.

    No dice. Like I said, my best guess is that something in the server was holding open some kind of connection (or whatever) for my IP and didn't want to serve my IP on any other connection until it timed out on the first one. Whatever it was, this definitely has the appearance of a server side issue to me.
     
  5. Komposten

    Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Supporter Contributor

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2012
    Messages:
    3,018
    Likes Received:
    2,193
    Location:
    Sweden
    Hmm, okay. If it affects multiple PCs on the same network, it is probably either the router or the website. I'll see if I can get hold of the admins and have them look at it. In the meantime, try restarting your router (it's a long shot, but it doesn't hurt to try).
     
  6. archer88i

    archer88i Banned Contributor

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    Messages:
    839
    Likes Received:
    429
    @Komposten, as I noted in my second post above, this issue resolved itself in about an hour.

    I would be curious as to why I was able to get an error page if the router were screwing up somehow.
     
  7. Komposten

    Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Supporter Contributor

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2012
    Messages:
    3,018
    Likes Received:
    2,193
    Location:
    Sweden
    Oh, must have missed that. Well, I guess we'll never quite find out what the problem was then. But as long as it's solved, we can't really complain. :)

    Was the error a forum error (e.g. you can see the general layout of the forum, but not the content) or a "could not connect to the server error" (error 403, 404, 503, or similar)?
     
  8. archer88i

    archer88i Banned Contributor

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    Messages:
    839
    Likes Received:
    429
    This was a forum error. I could see the general layout, like you said, but I only got an error message where the dynamic content should have been.
     
  9. Komposten

    Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Supporter Contributor

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2012
    Messages:
    3,018
    Likes Received:
    2,193
    Location:
    Sweden
    Ah, I see. In that case, yes, it definitely sounds like a server-side issue. Especially if it affected multiple devices.

    I tried to reproduce it, and got something similar (Chrome restarted after updating, and when it loaded WF.org I got an error). However, the error resolved itself almost instantly (I refreshed the page, and everything was working).
    Let's hope it generally follows that pattern (self-fixes within a short time), should it occur again in the future.
     
  10. archer88i

    archer88i Banned Contributor

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    Messages:
    839
    Likes Received:
    429
    My best guess would be that it's one of the three hard problems in computing. Caching, in this case--not the other one. But if it resolves relatively quickly most of the time, the best fix is prally not to mess with it. :p
     
    Komposten likes this.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice