1. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by lixAxil, Apr 4, 2014.

I frikin' love this manga and now that the third part is being animated I'm more than excited.

So made this thread to share my fanatism and find more fans of this epic manga.

So what's JJBA about?

It's one of the most popular manga of the shonen jump (at least in japan) created by Hirohiko Araki and serialized in 1987 it draw inspiration from old manga like Hokuto no Ken, and thus it's vastly different from today's manga, sporting more mature topics and detailed drawing, yet it's main characteristic is the Bizarre as the title suggest of the characters, powers, situations and adventures; unlike other mangas, Araki has no issues with crossing the limits and is willing to show you anything within the boundaries of his mind. Also being one of the oldest manga is not only very original by itself but also it had influenced the japanese culture to such point that a lot (and I mean a lot) of manga, anime, novels, movies, etc. makes reference to the character's catchphrases or fabulous poses.

Story is about the misadventures of the Joestar's family, being the main character for each part a different member of the family in sucesive generations. First part shows us the life of Jonathan Joestar a noble british young boy and his recently adopted brother Dio Brando who plots to take over the family via ruining Jonathan's reputation, eventually the plot evolves with fantasy elements like zombies and vampires; then the story continues in second part with Jonathan's grandson Joseph Joestar, the third part Joseph's grandson Jotaro Kujo and then the family branch becomes more complex reaching up to know eight different parts where the main character will in most ocassions deals with the consequences of Dio's acts or its relatives. First parts's stories are a bit more straightforward while from Part 4 onward the plot becomes each times more complex and entertaining.

A thing that is notorious about this manga is the style of Araki who draws a very detailed drawing non typical of the japanese manga, characters features are more realistic (the face overall, sporting more human like eyes, nose and lips), also Araki loves to draw his characters doing fantastic, with a colorful and unique fashion and fabulous poses that most times defies the physic or logic of the context. Also Araki doesn't fear gruesome scenes that border the gore in some ocassions.

Finally a thing that many fans love about JJBA is how it references numerous rock bands and musicians, as thus we have characters like the Zeppeli's family, Robert Edward Speedwagon, AC/DC, or Dio himself, (Also the Jojo's nickname makes reference to the song Get Back of the Beatles). And later with the fantastic powers of the stands with more references as names as King Crimson, Six Pistols, Killer Queen, Stairway to Heaven, Crazy Diamond and more examples.

So well a lot of presentation had been done here, anyway fans feel free to use this thread to discuss the series and also for any manga reader who hadn't but may be interested on reading it I say, go for it, you won't be disappointed.

[​IMG]
    Main characters of each part, from left to right: Josuke Higashikata (Part 4), Jolyne Kujo (Part 6), Giorno Giovanna (Part 5), Unknown (Part 8), Jotaro Kujo (Part 3), Jonathan Joestar (Part 1), Joseph Joestar (Part 2), Johnny Joestar (Part 7).

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  2. NattyVoi

NattyVoi New Member

The third part is being done? That fan I am?

I loved the series. Unfortunately, I've not read the manga, but it is on my list to read.
    I think it's a fabulous story. My favorite character is Jotaro Kujo, Jonathan Joestar, and Dio.
    Excellent information

lixAxil likes this.