1. sophzo

sophzo New Member

What do we think of this?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by sophzo, Aug 3, 2011.

Hey guys. I have recently returned to a story I thought was dead. I was wondering if you could give me your honest opinions and any useful tips as to the character or plotline details.

"Ink" - the tale of a girl whose birth parents didn't want her and whose adoptive parents were never honest with her. Upon discovering a black journal hidden in her mother's loft, Ink's whole world is thrown into upheaval. Reading the entries addressed to her, Ink discovers that her perfect family might not be so perfect after all

POV will be similar to that of My Sister's Keeper (for those who haven't read it -tut tut - it changes from character to character, instead of chapters). It will mostly be about issues such as adoption, family, love etc.

Anyways, what do you think? Honestly.
    Sophie

2. TobiasJames

TobiasJames New Member

Tell us a bit of the story and we'll let you know what we think.

3. sophzo

sophzo New Member

P.s.

Also, to all mothers and fathers out there ...

What would you say to your child(ren) if you had the chance? If you could write all your feelings and words of wisdom in a book, what would it say?

4. sophzo

sophzo New Member

Well it starts with Martha - a woman who never wants kids - discovering she is pregnant. Then follows how she and her partner Dan - also never wants kids - cope with the pregnancy. Another twist is that Martha does not believe in abortion, simple reason is she views it as killing a life and cannot bring herself to do that. They put the child up for adoption and she is adopted by Rachel - desperate for a child of her own - and her husband Peter - who has two children from another marriage. The big part is when the adopted daughter finds the journal which has been hidden by Rachel because she wanted to believe with all her heart this child was hers. Argument between mother and daughter. Daughter then tries to contact birth parents.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

6. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Ah there it is ^ All is right with the world ;) What he said.

7. TobiasJames

TobiasJames New Member

No, no... don't tell us ABOUT the story, tell us the story itself!

8. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Don't seek validation for your idea. Write it. It seems to me that you're in the early stages and could do well to sit down and spend some time mapping out details. Make a thread if you're stuck on something, or if you want help with some specific aspect. We'll be happy to help you then, but we're not going to give you approval because you shouldn't be asking for it in the first place. :)

9. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Go for it. :)

I like the name Ink, by the way.

10. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Hahahahaha.

I like the concept, I think it could turn out great.
    As for the perspective, I wouldn't know since I don't have children. I think you will have to put yourself in the characters clothes and try to understand what she feels, that is the only way to make it seem real. But I didn't understand- who was the writer of the diary?? the birth-mom? The adoptive mom?

11. AceTachyon

AceTachyon New Member

I will also echo.

Write it, write it, write it.

Now go.

12. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Since when did it matter if it's similar or not? If you feel like it's too similar in plot, you can always change it to your liking. That's the amazing part about writing, you can do whatever you want with your story. Like Cogito said, it's all on how you make the story. Sometimes you take a big break from that story, and then come back and you have a whole array of fresh, new ideas.

13. Faust

Faust Active Member

Take 100 writers, give them a plot. You will have 100 different stories. Your life experiences, personal style, word choice, and ideas will define your story. I say give it a shot, get a lot of feedback, make adjustments and be proud that you wrote it at all. One could say; writing is the hard part of writing.