1. Rohan89

Rohan89 Member

Understanding my process

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Rohan89, Oct 10, 2017.

Hi,

This is a journal of me trying to understand my artistic process better.

This year, for the last 5 months, my writing has been very sporadic. There have been days when I've written 1500, 2000 words.

There have also been days where I've written 500-800 words, which I'll feel okay about.

But there have also been periods of 5 days, a week or even a couple of weeks where I write nothing (or basically nothing). This troubles me, and I want to make these periods few and far between.

I have been interested in fiction the last year- I wrote a first draft for a novella early/mid this year, then I stated adding to it in the part month, thinking I could turn it into a novel.

The inspiration for this idea seems to be not there now, and I'm open to focussing on non-fiction as well- I've written a few articles that have gotten published on various sites.

So we'll see what becomes of this journal. I think it's good to voice my thoughts around other artists.

Thanks,
    Rohan (28 years old)

Laurus likes this.
  2. Rohan89

Rohan89 Member

-yesterday spent about an hour looking at interviews of actors/musicians giving inspirational advice (I resonate with a lot). The main thing that came through was to do it for yourself, don't look to a point where you 'arrive', just find the thing you really believe in.

-I felt inspired yesterday and wrote a 900 word article that I sent to a major website. I got good feedback from the editor within 24 hours of sending it, which I feel good and glad about, as I've been wanting to send something to that site for a while

There is a lot if hustle and bustle in my house in the morning, so now I am having a coffee and sitting in my car in my garage (9.05am right now). I feel I'm getting in tune with myself

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  3. Rohan89

Rohan89 Member

A dichotomy I'm finding is the need to fuel myself artistically versus fuelling myself intellectually.

One one hand, being in that profound, creative space is good, but I can't really keep it going all day.

I need to, almost like a student, then fuel my intellect. The novel I'm writing is about society/culture/civilization etc, so I have to do some study of things going on in the world. For instance, listening to channels discussing society or philosophy on YouTube, reading articles etc.
    I need to remind myself this is okay, and not a waste of time. It is actually building my knowledge for what I am to write about.

4. Rohan89

Rohan89 Member

Had a good day yesterday, 1000+ words of my novel.

It's 8am now.
    want to erase the expectation and the thought of word count this morning, not put pressure on myself today.

Just focus on getting into a good space, and doing some writing.

Starts with a coffee

5. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

You can never go wrong with coffee. That said, I can relate to your trying to find your ' process'. To me writing is something akin to working out; the want to isn't always there but the glad I did always is.
    I've been prepping to restart my novel so I've been writing short stories. I've tried different POV, tenses and subjects. I've had a lot of fun writing this way. Looking forward to following your progress.