1. anitaex100

anitaex100 Member

Understanding Poetry for Writing Fiction

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by anitaex100, Oct 4, 2017.

I suck at writing poems. However, I can see the usefulness in learning poetry for writing fiction, so I'm studying it more often. I was reading Winfred Owen "Anthem for Doomed Youth." I understood most of it except for the last line. And each slow dusk a drawing-down of blinds. Can someone explain to me what the author meant? I think it's a reference to the girls they left behind.

2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I don't really see the correlation between poetry and fiction writing. This might be more suited to the poetry section.

anitaex100 likes this.
  3. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

I've read it was meant as a parallel, a form of symbolism. In chapels of rest blinds are drawn when a body is placed in them as a mark of respect...so as not to see such ugliness in the cold light of day.
    I'm thinking you're alluding to writing your fiction metaphorically/figuratively yes? And taking inspiration from poetry?

anitaex100 likes this.
  4. anitaex100

anitaex100 Member

I'm thinking you're alluding to writing your fiction metaphorically/figuratively yes? And taking inspiration from poetry? Yes! You nailed it and thanks again for clearing up the last line for me. I find poetry beautiful but also confusing at times.