1. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

Understanding Show, Don't Tell

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Stormburn, May 10, 2017.

I am reading a book by Janice Hardy named Understanding Show, Don't tell (And Really Getting It). I'm at the level of development where I'm learning how seriously flawed are my writing mechanics. This book has really helped me and I'll recommend it to anyone trying to come to a understanding on 'how to' write correctly.
    Godspeed!

ame_trine likes this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm going to caveat this well-trodden topic by saying that, IMO, the phrase "Show, don't tell" is itself flawed. There's a time and a place for both show and tell. If the book is illuminating the difference between one and the other, and what each mode brings to the writing, then I would say that yes, it's a good resource, but if it says that one trumps the other, then I would withhold that statement. Whatever we do, we should do with deliberation, and the way to invoke deliberation is by understanding the tools at our disposal. A screwdriver and a hammer each has its purpose, and if you try hard enough you can probably eventually force one to do the job of the other, but never with the ease and deftness of using the correct tool for the job.

xanadu, Fernando.C and Dr.Meow like this.
  3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I looked at the preview on Amazon, and it wasn't bad. It had nuances.

4. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

The author agrees with you that the phrase itself is flawed. In fact, there is a section on why telling can be better than showing. The book isn't for advance writers. It covers the basics: what is showing and what is telling, how to identify them in prose, when to use each, and how to fix. Perfect for someone like myself.

Fernando.C likes this.
  5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Oh, good then. Sounds like a good resource. ;)

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

A little while back I tried to write a scene that was entirely showing to illustrate how tedious that would be, its actually really difficult, I kept lapsing back into telling on minor details