1. Jax

Jax Member

Hello to all looking forward to making some friends

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jax, Sep 10, 2015.

I've been a writer as long as I can remember but never tried to get published. Now I'm working on a series and am starting on the third book while still editing the first two as well as writing queries and synopsis for them all. I have been possessed by this story and it is just writing its self which has never happened to me before. I am really looking forward to having other writers that can give me some feed back and I am happy to do the same for anyone writing the types of stories I read and I read a lot.

I'm currently writing Erotica which is so far from anything I've ever done before but it is just flowing from me. I also write songs, and fantasy/adventure, horror, and science fiction. These are the things I also read. I am looking forward to becoming part of this community and hope that I can contribute a helpful eye and voice.

KhalieLa and GingerCoffee like this.
  2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Hi Jax! Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you'll fit right in. :)

Here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started. Make sure to read the bit about our Workshop if you're looking for feedback on your writing. :)

See you around!
    -Kat

3. Jax

Jax Member

Thanks Kat can't wait to get to know you.
    Jax

4. DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse Member

Wow, superb work on hitting that third book, hope you keep going! Welcome!

5. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

Welcome!
    I can't believe how similar your experience seems to be when compared to my own.
    I finished my first book a few weeks ago and am already working on the second book. There was just an explosion in my head this summer and I can see the series laid out before me. Like you, I feel possessed by the work (and mildly irritated when my real 'work' gets in the way of my writing.) Usually, when I write it can take a month or two to put out the 3,000 words necessary for a good magazine article, but I came up with 105K in just 5 weeks this summer.

I'm writing Fantasy, not Erotica, but the story does include a good deal of sex. (My main character is a prostitute.) I don't know if you are incorporating your songs into your story, but I did with mine. I do write a little poetry and thought it would be fun to have my wizards give bits of back-story by reciting from the "Book of Lamentations," which doesn't exist, except in my mind. (Sort of like what Dean Koontz did with the Book of Counted Sorrows.) I'm also incorporating passages written in proto-Celtic, which I have decided is the language my Dwarfs and Demons speak.

I hope you find the site helpful.
    Cheers!

Jax likes this.
  6. Jax

Jax Member

Your experience is very much like my own...and I hadn't included any of my songs into the stories but now that you mention it that is a wonderful suggestion since my main character is a musician. Some of my songs would be a good way to show that her band isn't just a cover band/garage band but actually play original music also. I've always heard it's best to write what you know so my main character is in some ways similar to myself at twenty-one.

I also write Fantasy usually with strong female lead characters. What I'm currently doing is so different from anything I've ever written that I'm stunned by it and yet it keeps writing itself and I feel like I'm just a conduit for it. I hope I get to read some of your story, it sounds like my kind of book.

KhalieLa likes this.
  7. Jax

Jax Member

Thanks and I have read the rules and am looking forward to working with everyone.

KaTrian likes this.
  8. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

It's that "conduit" thing that gets me too. I told my grandmother, "I'm not telling this story, the story is telling me!"
    I took the day off work yesterday. I ended up one putting one coat of sealer on the new tile in the bathroom and have to do the second coat tonight or tomorrow. It says you're supposed to let it dry at least two hours between coats, so I figured I write a bit while waiting. 6,000 words later it was time to start dinner and the second coat had not been applied, c'est la vie.