Tags:
  1. Yaldabaoth

Yaldabaoth Member

Life on a military base

Discussion in 'Research' started by Yaldabaoth, May 23, 2020.

One of the stories I have in mind for a later date opens with the protagonist serving on a military outpost for a developing interstellar colony. The main gist is that they do security/police work and monitor for threats.

Mostly I'm wondering if there's anyone here who's lived/served with the military, and would know what the lifestyle in an environment like that is like? The main things I'd like to know is how regimented daily life on an outpost would be (as I imagine soldiers would adhere to a strict schedule) and how relaxed soldiers are allowed to be in the absence of their CO.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

You're going to get lots of answers from many different experiences because the truth is that it's quite variable.

The job I did in the USAF was the kind that happens inside the sanctum sanctorum of a SCIF - Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility. Most of the people with whom I was assigned were in similar fields under similar dynamics. Everything was two-ton steel doors and electronic badges that did or did not give you access to different sections of the SCIF.

Off duty time was my time. I actually had very little in the way of other duties outside of my mission. Formations, G.I. cleaning parties, inspections, these things happened, but not on a daily or even weekly basis. Then again, the USAF is often the butt of military jokes as the vacation branch of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Inside the SCIF... I cannot talk about what went on in there. But in there is where all the totally choreographed, deeply systematic things took place. We did the things we did to the letter, no jokes, no effing around. It was very serious. The material we handled spoke for itself.

"Sergeant, is that a...?"

"Yes, airman, it is. You know what to do?"

"Yes, sarg, I do."

"Then get to it."

Electronic Security Command no longer exists. I think it's part of the 25th Air Force now. May have changed, maybe not. We were a rarified little group and it wasn't uncommon for more standard issue zoomies to look askance at us because we were separated and we did exude an air of elitism. We did.

But again, it's quite variable. I grew up on military bases, my parents having also served. I saw lots of different ways it could be, depending on the mission(s) that base was handling.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  3. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

What you’re describing is more like a border guard or security guard. I have pulled guard duty, and it was always serious. Some of the ODs (officer of the day) would send someone to test your mettle.
    A lot of security guards have to clock in at key points around the area.
    With your ‘future guard,’ you could use sweep protocol and inferred scan or the like.

Yaldabaoth likes this.
  4. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

But you are writing sci-fi...so unshackle and live a little...

'Infantryman' was the throw-back, to a time when 'soldier' meant anything, if it ever did mean anything to anybody, nobody really knew exactly, how 40 000 years ago teams wore identical pink outfits and slung mortar bombs over alien horizons. It seemed such a quaint concept to Infantryman Peters. He reached, reached for the bubbles of contentment bubbling through his atmospheres, and he swallowed, cheeks a-swollen, the contentments a-popping on his molars. Toes drifted from the turf, he floated among wildlife, stroking hamsters as was his duty, by order as a soldier..'

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  5. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Civilians viewpoint (grew up with an Airforce joint Airforce/Navy dad):

You're housed by rank with the higher ranking officers getting the better houses and living in a gated community (atleast on this one base i lived on). Then ive lived on a base that was ONLY housing and civilian stuff, like hospitals, fast food places, a mall, a park, a community pool, grocery store, etc.) And my dad worked an hour away on another base that had helicopters and an airfield and office buildings and more military stuff.

Every morning at sun rise and every evening at sundown, the national anthem plays and unless you are in a car, you have to stop what you are doing and turn to the flag.

The houses all looked the same (except for high ranking officials). Though its a base, there isnt much security. I've had bikes stolen literally off the back of my dads car.
    The only visible security is at the gate.
    Oh! High ranking officials get choice parking! Everywhere there is a parking lot, there will be signs that say who can park there. Higher up you are, the closer you get to park.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  6. KiraAnn

KiraAnn Senior Member

Your description is rather vague. It’s your story, so flesh it out as you wish.

Factors that might come into play: native aliens, how many such outposts and cities are there, the tech level, how widespread is the colonization, etc.

7. LastMindToSanity

LastMindToSanity Contributor Contributor

To start off, not all branches of the military are the same. From what I've heard, they vary wildly.

Quality of life will vary depending on the branch. It's pretty comfy here in the Air Force, but, from what my brother's told me, it's a lot less comfortable and focuses more on simple functionality in the Army. Also, if your character lives in the dorms (usually of the very lowest ranks) they'll have a meal card. The meal card lets you eat at the dining facilities for "free." It's not technically free, cause they take away your BAS, which is the eating allowance in your pay check, until you get out of the dorms. In the Air Force, you can start to get out of the dorms when you reach Senior Airman (E4, the fourth enlisted rank). Oh yeah, the dorms are in a constant state of "quiet hours." Because dorms aren't separated by shift, there're a bunch of people who are asleep when others are awake, so you're not allowed to make an excessive amount of noise at any time during the day. On my base, you can usually see Security Forces on the side of specific roads, watching for the speeders.

On the schedule, it's mostly just get to your job and appointments on time. If you're doing a job, you usually have an expected time that you would finish that job. If you're late to get to your job, it probably means paperwork.

About the absence of the CO. In the AF, you're pretty much a normal person when you're off duty, with a few exceptions. You aren't allowed to participate in violent events (riots, street fights, etc.), you can't smoke marijuana (even if it's legal in the state you're stationed in), and basically stuff along those lines. At all times, you represent the military (even if you aren't in uniform), and you're expected to act along those lines.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020