1. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Active Member

Protecting Weak Points in a Swordfight

Discussion in 'Research' started by TyrannusRex, Aug 10, 2017.

More specifically: (apologies if this seems like clickbait)
    I have a creature with a human-like torso and spider-like legs. It has to keep its legs splayed out to bear its weight and scuttle around, but they're obviously inviting targets to enemy swordsmen. How is the creature to protect his legs during conflict? (*With swordsmanship, not something snarky like "wear greaves". -_-)

Seraph751 likes this.
  2. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

With a sturdy exoskeleton, of course.... and poisonous projectile hairs on its legs! Also, more legs means more balance and stability, so I see no reason why your creature cannot be agile enough to jump around or move one leg out of the way of harm while the other legs bear the weight.

TyrannusRex likes this.
  3. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Active Member

Excellent point, although I should mention that the number of legs (specifically for this character) is four.
    (I have a bad habit of withholding detail for fear of bogging down a post ;-;)
    On that note, what if we replace the swords, with, I dunno... lightsabers? Which can cut through most materials...
    (Although I suppose a skilled Force-user could... no, no Tyrannus, spare them the geek-out.)

4. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

I spent a couple of years learning swordfighting, long long ago, and we were taught that the best way you defend isn't through a block or a guard, it's through being where the other guy's sword isn't. Keep them in front of you, and when they come at you, move out of the way.

I imagine that'd be even more true if you had a body shape that meant you weren't easily able to defend vulnerable spots like that - though it does beg the question, why is your guy using a sword when it's not really designed for them?

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

by putting its enemies down as quickly as possible or keeping them away from it... if its arms are also long then it has the benefit of reach

6. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Ultimately, you cannot cover every weakness, else your creature would be invincible. You should just pick a few aspects that makes it so fearsome, and then let your characters figure out a way to circumvent it.

With 4 legs and a human-like torso, I think you should just make agility and dexterity the most fearsome aspect of your creature, and that is also how it defends itself in battle. Who cares about those silly swords and light sabers when they cannot even hit you?

7. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

Footwork is critical, it also helps that spiders can climb walls or wall-like objects so that expands the horizon for keeping their form out of harm's way.

8. pyroglyphian

pyroglyphian Word Painter

The might be better armed with spears, or whatever the equivalent in your story's world. Something long enough at least to defend the radius of the legs, and preferably long enough to keep pesky enemies at a safe distance.

9. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Have a bigger sword. :D
    Great Sword 1.jpg
    Or just invest in Pole arms training.
    Pole Arms.jpg

10. CerebralEcstasy

CerebralEcstasy Active Member

Currently Reading::
    The 5AM Club, Robin Sharma
    First thing I should ask is, is this an honorable or dishonorable swordfight?

11. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

A lot of swordplay is about the footwork, so if your creature is accomplished with a sword, they should be able to dodge around quickly enough to avoid getting de-legged. There are also a number of downward defensive moves they might employ to block blows to their legs. They could also use such a tempting target to their advantage with a combination of footwork and fast jabs toward their enemy.

If I were fighting a human and went for their legs, I'd fully expect that to put me within reach of their sword. They could do any number of unpleasant things to pretty much anything above my waist while my attention is drawn to their legs.