Tags:
  1. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

The stranges thing about plot evolution.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Acrimen19, Feb 20, 2011.

After reading trivia about the concept of banjo-kazooie (N64) it seems kind of stange how concepts evolve.

I mean come on, banjo-kazooie used to be about a boy with a sword. Thats kinda of hard to believe.

I mean yes, it is a video game, and has more to do with the controls, and the game itself, great gameplay at its best in fact.

But if I could do some research I bet there could be so many things I didnt know about concepts.

What do you think?

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

What exactly is your question?

3. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

Not a question really, just a thought I had. Just saying that concepts can evolve.

4. Mallory

Oh definitely. Your story takes you wherever it wants to once you start writing it. :)

5. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

I had a story about robot vs man in the first draft. Now I have made a world full of historical records owned by two robot species gaurding the spiritual ream of good. Its changed since i found nothing really going on in the story. It was kind of flat.

Actually I made a theme change in the story as well. About our idenity. Learning who we are.

For those who recognize the pride theme. Its still there but just in some characters. I want to use the pride theme in the prequel if I make one. Pride will be mentioned in this one, but will not be the main theme.

6. ChocoboDragon

ChocoboDragon New Member

Quite true, concepts can change drastically. I like to look back and read the first notes and plans I made on my story and see how much it has changed and improved. The entire concept and themes have changed a lot.

7. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

Its sometime frusterating to keep the draft and finish it without slipping new stuff into it with out critique.

By the way, this is totally out of the blue, but does anyone know where I can send a complete draft?

8. Mallory

That depends on what step you're on in the process; are you looking for a beta-reader? An editor? Agent? Publisher?

9. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

I am trying to develop my characters. Its taking longer then It should. I am in an interveiw right now (Imaginative). But when I finish I might need an editor.

Thanks.

10. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

You know I am in need of brain storming. I always catch some flatness to my story. And when I think of some new concept ideas it seems to have am unsatisifing gap.

I just need some advice.

11. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

I would suggest try exploring your world and story as you build it. Sometimes the discoveries can be really surprising and entertaining. To do that, however, sometimes you have to ask yourself really hard questions.

In one story I was writing the MC was an elf girl being raised in a human city. I really liked the character so I started brainstorming to see what made her special.

Is she special because she was raised by humans? No, that is boring and cliche.

Hm, why is she alone in a city full of humans? Someone put her there to hide her.

Why hide her? Because she is a danger to the world. She isn't cursed.

Oh, so the world suffers from a curse. She must be a cure for the curse then! No, she is a cure for one of the seven races in the world. The curse effects each race differently.

But she could still be a beacon of hope for the rest of the world! Or she could be the harbringer of doom. One race being pure while the other six are still cursed would severely throw off the balance of power in world.

Oh crap! Oh yes, indeed.

Try not to get frustrated. Some of those questions can leave you brainstorming for quite a bit while you try to find the answer. :D

12. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

I think the best way to get started is to make the plot very simple. Further detail at first makes it very flat.

The story will hold its own since A simple story line gives me for freedom.

13. Acrimen19

Acrimen19 Banned

I was thinking of an old concept that I never used in a long time. Since I have had experience with recent ones I've decides to enhance the later one.

I've watched pieces of a very strange film (Cough cough Space Oddessy) And saw the strange personallities of the humans. And thought it would be a good idea to give the personallities with the human characters that exact personallity in a robots perspective. Not the complete personallity, but the same idea as if humans are mysterious.

But all said I just wanted to share what I got so far.