"Unpacking" sentences with certain words

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Jak of Hearts, Feb 17, 2014.

1. David K. Thomasson

David K. Thomasson Senior Member

In addition to thought verbs, be on the lookout for thought adjectives: angry, happy, joyful, sad, depressed, dejected, curious, interested, fascinated, repulsed, disgusted, puzzled, confused, etc. And adverbs: angrily, joyfully, confusedly, with interest, with disgust, and so on.

2. lostinwebspace

lostinwebspace Active Member

Never cut out words completely. :p I agree with that. But I do a search for qualifiers or fillers to see if I really need them: "near," "half," "existing," "whole," etc. If something is half a step, for instance, can it not be a shuffle? Then again, there's no way. How else can I describe a half-full glass?

And then there's the word "suddenly." I find it's an ironic word because it pads any suddenness you're trying to achieve. Then again, I use it when I want to get more into a character's head. It's best when you're trying to inject humour or characterization. Kind of hard to explain, but I'd run away from that word nine times out of ten.

3. Monte Thompson

Monte Thompson New Member

Like a good cook can get too "Chef-y" a good story can be ruined by being to "Writer-ly".