Tags:
  1. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

Unpublished writers/Publishing Magazines

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by jonathan hernandez13, May 20, 2009.

Given that I am an unpublished and unknown writer, should I send a query letter or solicit my submission (to a magazine that publishes unprofessional writers) if they make no mention of it in their submission guidelines? I take it that most of the stories they receive are from unpublished writers. An example of their submission guidelines is below.

Analog Science Fiction and Fact

Story Content
    Analog will consider material submitted by any writer, and consider it solely on the basis of merit. We are definitely eager to find and develop new, capable writers.
    We have no hard-and-fast editorial guidelines, because science fiction is such a broad field that I don't want to inhibit a new writer's thinking by imposing Thou Shalt Nots. Besides, a really good story can make an editor swallow his preconceived taboos.

Basically, we publish science fiction stories. That is, stories in which some aspect of future science or technology is so integral to the plot that, if that aspect were removed, the story would collapse. Try to picture Mary Shelley's Frankenstein without the science and you'll see what I mean. No story!

The science can be physical, sociological, psychological. The technology can be anything from electronic engineering to biogenetic engineering. But the stories must be strong and realistic, with believable people (who needn't be human) doing believable thingsā€“no matter how fantastic the background might be.

Fact Articles Fact articles for Analog should be about 4,000 words in length and should deal with subjects of not only current but future interest, i.e., with topics at the present frontiers of research whose likely future developments have implications of wide interest. Illustrations should be provided by the author in camera-ready form.

In writing for Analog readers, it is essential to keep in mind that they are, in general, very intelligent and technically knowledgeable, but represent a very wide diversity of backgrounds. Thus, specialized jargon and mathematical detail should be kept to a necessary minimum. Also, our readers are reading this magazine largely for entertainment, and a suitable style for our articles is considerably more informal than that in many professional journals.
    Manuscript Format Manuscripts must be computer-printed or typed, double-spaced, on white paper, one side of the sheet only. Please avoid unusual or very small typefaces. Indent paragraphs but do not leave extra space between them. Please do not put manuscripts in binders or folders. We do not accept e-mail or fax submissions.
    Author's name and address should be on the first page of the manuscript. No material submitted can be returned or acknowledged unless accompanied by sufficient postage, stamped and addressed envelope (not a postcard), or stamped International Reply Coupons. No simultaneous submissions please.

Payment Analog pays 6-8 cents per word for short stories up to 7,500 words, $450-600 for stories between 7,500 and 10,000 words, and 5-6 cents per word for longer material. We prefer lengths between 2,000 and 7,000 words for shorts, 10,000-20,000 words for novelettes, and 40,000-80,000 for serials. Fact articles are paid for at the rate of 6 cents per word.
    Other Information Please query first on serials only. A complete manuscript is strongly preferred for all shorter lengths.
    Payment is on acceptance.

Our Editorial Address Stanley Schmidt
    Editor
    475 Park Ave. South, 11th Floor
    New York, NY 10016
    E-mail: analog@dellmagazines.com

2. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

thanks banzai, thats kind of what I figured
    solicitation though...?:confused:

3. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

It really depends on who you are submitting to. Basically just follow the submission guidelines that they have on their website and you can't go wrong. (that is why they have the guidelines)

As for the above example you have posted, do this:

They don't say it has to be solicited, so unless you really want to have it solicited, don't bother. Though I am sure there are other writers out there who would tell you to have it solicited. I wouldn't worry unless you are submitting to somewhere that only accepts solicited submissions though.

Always follow guidelines and if you don't need to have it solicited, then I don't see much point in it personally.

Also, I have to disagree with Banzai, there are quite a lot of magazines that DO require query letters/emails first. So just make sure that you read the guidelines of the place you are submitting to before you submit. If you submit a manuscript to a magazine that demands a query letter first, they will just delete your email and not bother with it.

Hope this helps in some way. :)

Goodluck with your submissions.

Torana
    Supporter/Reviewer