1. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Grammar Modifying 'flawless'

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by mashers, Jun 11, 2016.

Does adding an adjective to modify the word 'flawless' make sense? Here's the sentence:

It reads ok to me, but I'm worried it might be in the same category as "very unique" (shudder).

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

You could split the sentence:

Like many holocharacters, her appearance was flawless. Julian was unsure whether she was a recording of a real person or entirely computer generated.

I don't think you need a modifier.

3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think the "so flawless" makes sense in this context. Well, I might argue about whether a truly flawless person would actually appear flawless... it made me think that she was beautiful, tidy, unscarred, etc., but I think maybe you mean that the hologram was undetectable. But that's a larger issue than the "so flawless" part.

4. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I'm not sure. 'So flawless' still kind of implies degrees of flawlessness, which like 'very unique' is an oxymoron. Your sentence reads fine - it doesn't make me immediately cringe - but if you want to be a stickler for precision it might be better to restructure as Steerpike suggested.

5. mashers

@izzybot
    Yes, it was the separating of the concept into degrees, when it is in fact binary, which made me uncomfortable. I am a bit of a stickler for things like this, but I'm trying to be a bit less formal. I think I need to consider @BayView's suggestions as it's made me ponder what I really mean. I picture the hologram as detectable as such due to the mechanism of its display, but I really meant that it has the abnormally perfect appearance of an ultra-airbrushed model or a highly realistic android. I don't think 'beautiful' is quite right here. I'll consider @Steerpike's suggestion to split the sentence up as this is unambiguous without a potentially annoying grammatical faux pas!

Thanks everyone :)

6. sahlmi

sahlmi Active Member

Original deleted. Seemed to be useless.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    BayView likes this.
  7. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

I think exquisite would have a better impact (my opinion).

8. mashers

I feel 'exquisite' has connotations of beauty or attractiveness, and that's not quite what I want to communicate. Thank you for the suggestion though :)