Upgrade Feedback

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Daniel, Aug 18, 2013.

1. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

There's one minor quirk in the edit window that's kind of driving me nuts, but is a pretty low priority next to some of the other problems. In the old system, if I was typing a post and I double-clicked on a word, it would select the whole word so I could easily delete or replace it. In the new system, double-clicking on a word highlights it for a quarter of a second or so and then unhighlights it. If I want to delete or replace a word, I have to click, hold, and drag the cursor over the word.

As I say, very annoying but low priority.

2. ScaryMonster

ScaryMonster Active Member

Hi I think the site look really nice, the only problem as far as I'm concerned is that its saying I'm a new member when I'm not.
    It's also saying that I have insufficient privileges to post in the workshops. I know my ratio of critiques is high enough so.

Do I have to do twenty more post like a newbie? Because I've been on this forum for three years and I don't want to do that.

Also, in the poetry forum I tried to comment on a piece called "Temple." I got an error message, even though I tried several times to post it.

3. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

How come this was not an issue on the old system? Edit window was, like, 2 days, and I don't remember ever seeing automated spam, or these sorts of subsequent spam changes in legit comments. Now we have both, aplenty.

jannert likes this.
  4. the1

the1 Active Member

That may be an issue with your browser as I can double click on a word fine

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I don't know. I've just noticed more forums doing this lately.

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Have you tried a single click? Maybe you are clicking the word on and off.

It works for me with a single right click. But now that I try it, a double or single right click gets the same result.

7. Faust

Faust Active Member

It could also be his computer or browser, does that function work elsewhere?

8. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

The function works fine with this browser on the two other forums I'm on. This one is the only problem. I'm running Firefox 23.0.1 on Windows 7. It used to work fine on the old platform; it's only been a problem since we switched over.

9. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

This new forum platform is still a little finicky. Today I got error messages when I tried to post, then, after 10 min or so, they stopped. Now that I was typing this, I copy-pasted a bit, and what I had written before that, disappeared :S Of course, that could've been an error on my part too. Oh, and it might be my browser, but copy-paste hotkeys don't work either, and I keep forgetting it...

That's pretty cool though. Makes one put more effort into their posts and hopefully mitigates the assing-around factor -- not that you've been assing around, I meant myself.

Sorry, that must have been forum shell shock speaking earlier. I feel flattered and less frightened now! (I got an angry white female mod squad lash out on me en masse on another writing forum, so I'm still afraid of mods training their guns at me, just waiting for me to make a wrong move and then ban!).

10. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Every time I log in I get this error: "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action." I then have to click the banner to get to the main page, and most of the time this logs me out. I then have to log in again (which gives me the same error as before) and click on the banner to get to the main page. Second time's the charm I guess.

11. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I still have a problem when commenting, sometimes if I press one of the icons, or just scroll up the page then back to the comment box, or delete some text using backspace key, nothing else that I write actually shows up. Previously I had to publish an unfinished comment, so I don't lose it, then edit in the rest of the content.

12. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I'm also still having intermittent error message (see screen save image above) when I edit something with a smiley in it. Interestingly, and an excellent feature, when I click on edit again the changes I made are preserved even when they wouldn't post. It just happened again. I had to delete two smilies in the unedited post to get the edits accepted. But then I could go back in edit and add one of the smilies back without problem. o_O

13. idle

idle Active Member

I just noticed being "logged out" too, but it isn't logging out as such. Note whether you are using the forum address with or without www: either writingforums.org or www.writingforums.org. Although they display the same contents, each one requires its own log in. And clicking on the banner always takes you to www.writingforums.org, so if you were previously at writingforums.org (without www), it would seem as if you were suddenly logged out. So second time's the charm indeed, because after you log in twice, you have both the mirrors available. :)

No idea about the permission error though.

Daniel and thirdwind like this.
  14. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Ah, OK. Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'll have to use the www then.

The permission error went away a few days ago, so hopefully that problem is permanently fixed.

15. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Thanks for pointing this out (it's actually a bigger deal that just re-logging in). I've fixed it to force www. so this should be a non-issue now.