1. awkwardandpretentious

awkwardandpretentious New Member

PTSD [Possible Trigger -- Spree Killing]

Discussion in 'Research' started by awkwardandpretentious, Aug 4, 2013.

My current idea for a novel is a very, very difficult one to accomplish correctly. In the small town of St. Ashby, a teenage boy spree-kills seven of the town's residents. It's the aftermath of the horrific shooting this is concentrating on, and how it effects the others who live there.

My MC was vaguely friends with the boy who did it, so I was wondering how this would effect her mentally. Another character -- a primary school teacher -- has an eleven-year-old who was one of the survivors, so I need to research more about child psychology.

If there are any experts willing to help me with this, I'd be very grateful.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I'm not clear at all what you are asking.

3. Kelson

Kelson New Member

Hello awkwardandpretentious,

I am no expert but the protagonist cannot merely be an acquaintance of the killer if you want to pull this off right. Have you ever heard go big or go home? Writing about the killer's mother or girlfriend is going to be a lot more dramatic than someone who happened to know the killer.

Also, unfortunately there is a wealth of information out on the psychological aftermath of school shootings as well. That may be a good place to start, Columbine, Sandyhook, etc. I would also be very careful so as to not appear callus, or unconcerned about actual survivor feelings. That'll be a tight rope to walk.

Good luck,

~Kelson

4. AgonyDrum

AgonyDrum Member

Im not sure if this is relevant because you didn't address it but going off of your title i just want to point out that PTSD doesn't cause people to go on killing sprees I have an anxiety disorder and a lot of my friends have PTSD and if anything its more likely to drive you to suicide

5. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Feel free to send me a pm with specific questions, I'd be happy to help. I worked as a psychiatrist for quite a few years.