Urgent Etiquette Question!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Duchess-Yukine-Suoh, Apr 3, 2014.

1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

And that's a problem, why? ;)

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

That is cool!

3. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Senior Member

Just be yourself, be natural. Spend some time with both of them, get to know them well, and without having to think about it, the solution will present itself.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  4. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

The pimply faced child's little hands trembled up and down. This is it, she thought. This is really, finally it. He LOVES me!!! She nearly dropped her Iphone, then quickly scrolled back down to little Dick's latest text message , for the hundredth time.
    "Hey Babe, I used to play the violin."
    She almost dropped her phone again. Absolutely loves me. Two song birds on a branch were making sweet, synchronous melody, i.e, she accidentally hit the wrong channel on Youtube, so she grabbed her mouse and went back to dubstep.
    "What to do!" she burst out, staring for the hundred and oneth time, at little Dick's amorous words. "He wants to kill himself over me and I don't even know what to respond."
    She cut out the dubstep, consulted her internet community.

First responder: "0MG!!! 13 year old romance!!! That's so totally adorable. 0MG!!!"
    OP: "Thanks! But what do I say? Time is of the essence...."
    Second responder: "Just be honest."
    OP: "Well tbh I might like another guy too."
    Nth responder "Did he really say, 'Hey Babe'?"
    OP: "No, I added that part...."
    Third responder, now revealed to be a modern feminist: "You should construct a list of pros and cons of both guys, then make them duel each other. To the death. Winner gets to buy you dinner for the rest of your life."
    First responder: "You should write him a poem!

Roses are red, violets are blue,
    I play with my Iphone, but I'll play with you too :)"

Second responder: "@ First responder. You really need to gear your posts to the appropriate age group."
    First responder: "What are you talking about? I mentioned the Iphone, didn't I?"

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  5. Mackers

Mackers Senior Member

Garball, this story has already been written in the form of a song. It's called selfie:

"#SELFIE"

When Jason was at the table
    I kept on seeing him look at me while he was with that other girl
    Do you think he was just doing that to make me jealous?
    Because he was totally texting me all night last night
    and I don't know if it's a booty call or not
    So... like what do you think?
    Did you think that girl was pretty?
    How did that girl even get in here?
    Do you see her?
    She's so short and that dress is so tacky
    Who wears Cheetah?
    It's not even summer, why does the DJ keep on playing "Summertime Sadness"?
    After we go to the bathroom, can we go smoke a cigarette?
    I really need one
    But first,
    LET ME TAKE A SELFIE

[Beat drops]

Can you guys help me pick a filter?
    I don't know if I should go with XX Pro or Valencia
    I wanna look tan
    What should my caption be?
    I want it to be clever
    How about "Livin' with my bitches, hash tag LIVE"
    I only got 10 likes in the last 5 minutes
    Do you think I should take it down?
    LET ME TAKE ANOTHER SELFIE

[Beat drops]

Wait, pause, Jason just liked my selfie
    What a creep
    Is that guy sleeping over there?
    Yeah, the one next to the girl with no shoes on
    That's so ratchet
    That girl is such a fake model
    She definitely bought all her Instagram followers
    Who goes out on Mondays?
    OK, let's go take some shots
    Oh no, I feel like I'm gonna throw up
    Oh wait, nevermind I'm fine
    Let's go dance
    There's no vodka at this table
    Do you know anyone else here?
    Oh my god, Jason just texted me
    Should I go home with him?
    I guess I took a good selfie

Selfie [on repeat]

LET ME TAKE A SELFIE

6. Bjørnar Munkerud

Bjørnar Munkerud Senior Member

I don't see why playing the violin would make you smart or being smart would make you play the violin (in fact I believe that if anything it's the opposite). If you think it's cool, say it is. If you don't, don't. You're still free to use the word cool as an interjection regardless, though (example: "Cool, wanna come over to my place on Sunday?"). Don't be rude or disinterested (unless you truly are), but don't pretend it's any more impressive or special than it really is either.

If you want to you can even get to studying the violin and become somewhat versed in what it means to play one, but don't unless you're genuinely interested in it in some way, but even if you're just seeking to be able to chat about your crush's interests and provess in the field of music, that's enough to justify it. Just don't do it to impress and even more important don't do it to try to fool them into thinking you actually play too (if you don't) or that'd you be delighted to listen to them play all night and all day (believe me, even if you don't mind the idea now, you're gonna absolutely hate it before long). Be honest and open and go neither the "everything you do is perfect" route (which can even be surprisingly annoying to the recipient, and you might even want to not do this even if you actually do idolise them to that extent) nor the playing hard to get one, but stradde the middle line. Improve yourself, sure, and also be willing to adapt to any potential dating or co-habiting futures you may have together, but don't tell them you're someone other than you are, because that's going to bite you hard in the arse sooner or later.

Told him you love sushi? You might have to eat it every week until you die. Told him you have a driver's licence? Oops, now you may have to devise a pretty clever reason for why you can't pick him up at the train station on Sunday. Wrote on your dating website that you're 1.75 metres and weigh 50kgs? How are you going to explain that when you finally meet? Be honest and open and don't make to big of a deal out of things, but rather accept the way you, they, everyone and the world are. I think you'll find people (and even more so if you count only the good ones) tend to like people who are down to earth and don't change your behaviour to impress or to take advantage of every situation, but who is kind, smart, diplomatic, independent and not afraid to be who they are and let their actions speak for them instead of fooling people into liking you. I those scenarios above are real, by the way, though I didn't remember those measurements exactly. Oh, and, good luck. I leave you with this inspiring Charlize Theron quote: "I mean, love is such a hard f**king thing - to find somebody who's willing to go through anything with you and stand by you that, on its own, is so hard to find" (So let's not complicate it further, eh?)

7. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Ah, to be thirteen again...

When I was 13 I thought it was a good tactic to ignore the hell out of the guy you liked. It was also totally a choice to be shy.

Anyway, just keep showing interest in the guy if you're interested in him, nothing wrong in taking the initiative either, and ask follow-up questions if you don't wanna stop texting with him (although... that moment when you ask a question and HE DOESN'T RESPOND!), but be careful if you're juggling two fellas. If they find out about that, things can turn quite stressful.

8. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

That's a very American thing, I'm afraid. :p I just played in orchestras and brass bands, and once went to play in a Cretan tattoo. Nothing anywhere near as exciting as playing during American football!

P.S. I wish I had the money to visit America!

9. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

I love this.

10. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Here's what you need to do (Saw this in a lot of movies):

Set one down in the parlor, the other in the family room so your mom can run interference for you. Keep the door closed. Spend about a minute with each...

No? No working for you?

11. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

In all fairness, I like one (the guy who texted me) a lot more than the other.

12. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

The new etiquette is to walk up to him, and then start sending him text messages while you make sure not to make eye contact of any kind.

13. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

:)

14. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

It was very inaccurate, but that's what made it funny! (For starters, his name is Steven.)