1. oadie

oadie New Member

how to set down?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by oadie, Jun 26, 2014.

Hello
    I find a big problém with my writing. I try to find a solution here but I didnt. So Iam asking for help:

I try to create a world for my story. Its usualy a post apocalyptic world with a new society and life forms.
    And here is a deal: I successfuly created a world. Spent a days in building it and when its finally done - I dont want it. I Dont feel anything to that world and I want to make another one.

And here comes the writers block. Iam again in begining, I have nothing (just ideas for new world and story) and I Dont even want to write anymore becouse Iam afraid that it will hapen again.

This is my problem and I have no idea what to do.
    Iam so tired of making worlds and then throw them in a trash and starting all over.

So can somebody help me? I will be so glad for any advice..

P.S Sorry for my English its not my Mother language.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I don't think there is any magical solution for a writer's block like this. What I'd do is keep on writing, and try not to get stuck on the planning stage. You'll probably have to re-write stuff later when you come up with new things for your world, but if you have the characters and some idea of the plot, just start writing and allow the world to grow around it. This has worked for me.

You can also bounce ideas with other writers, in a writer's group, with your friends or family etc. and see if something really sparks your interest. Then just write, write, and write.

The most frustrating thing is to be perpetually stuck with planning. Imagine if a painter did nothing but planned her paintings, never took the brush and tried something out. You can start with a vague idea and see if it avalanches into an enjoyable story for you to write. If not, move boldly to the next thing, try it out, write, get lost in your world, write, write and write.

If you realize at some point that the time spent on writing something you'll later discard is time wasted, you might have to ask yourself whether writing fiction -- seriously writing -- is really your thing or if it just causes endless frustration. And if so, try something else creative for a change. :)

Good luck! :)

peachalulu and oadie like this.
  3. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

Oadie, don't fret the language - there have always been a number of active ESL (English as a Second Language) members on this site. You may get an occasional response that draws attention to your grammar, but the community here is quite welcoming to all levels of skill with the English language.

As to your problem, maybe you're too focused on the big picture. Were there any particular scenes or characters that intrigued you? If so, then tell that story. It's sometimes good to have a fleshed out world, but you'll find that no matter how much you outline, it's going to change as you write anyway.

In other words, starting with a developed world is just fine as a writing prompt, but it shouldn't be your final goal. The characters and settings in your outline WILL change into something richer (and often very different) as you write them - that's perfectly natural. Desirable, even.

Of course, it's also possible that, deep down, you simply are no longer interested in the idea. If so, then I would suggest trying to find something new to write about. It can be simple. Imagine that you are taking a walk in your neighborhood. Now imagine the first type of person you would see - ie a child playing in the street, or a mailman. Write down what you imagine they are feeling and doing. Don't try to find a deep story or surprise ending (though if that does come to mind then run with it!). Rather, just write a bit about that person using the narrative techniques of a fictional story.

At any rate, just keep reading and writing.

Hope this helps.

-Frank

KaTrian and oadie like this.
  4. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

And EFLs (English as a Foreign Language)! *raises hand* :D

But yeah, no need to apologize. We're all learners of something, be it a new language or some writing technique or, I don't know, boiling the perfect spaghetti.

I think Frank makes a good observation about the big picture. It's easy to get lost in the major stuff and forget about the little things, so yeah, perhaps try to focus on the grains for a change, not the crisp-crusted, freshly baked end product.

(if you're wondering about the food analogies... I'm hungry, so...)

oadie likes this.
  5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

The key to effective planning is to not be held captive by it once you start writing. Your plan should always be flexible enough for you to tell your story. If you get into the story and some element of your "world" doesn't allow for an idea you've had for your story (and it sounds like that might be the problem), then change your "world" so that it does.

It's your world. Who's to know? :whistle:

oadie likes this.
  6. oadie

oadie New Member

Much thanks!
    I think I will get up and write something.
    And I will avoid of big planning and construction and write something wild from story lines...

I needed somebody to hear me out so thank you!

7. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Instead of building the world first, immediately start writing. Jot down important plot points, character interactions, etc. Use that as an outline and go from there. This is, of course, just one approach out of many. It may not work for you in the end, but it's worth giving a shot. At the very least, you'll have done some actual writing.

oadie likes this.
  8. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Hi, Oadie and welcome to the group! Everyone has given great advise. I like to world build as I write. I have a vague idea of the world when I start out but nothing too concrete. Daydreaming for me is the key especially paired with the writing. Too much planning and I feel like I've dreamed it all and figured it all out. But with the writing it's not so much about an amazing world it's about someone's amazing journey through the world. The focus is more on character and their trials and goals in the world which becomes more exciting. It's the difference between designing Disney World or going through Disney World with a child. The other can be humhum details. Clever but rather flat. But the child's reactions and interaction with the details are what bring them to life.

Wowzie and oadie like this.