US has successfully landed on Mars seven times.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GingerCoffee, Feb 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Y'know that meme where the guy flops in on his stomach with a trollish look on his face? He points at a crowd and says something that starts a huge debate?

I am resisting the urge to do just that. Must be sensible...must be sensible...

...But now I have an image of a badass lesbian character with more guns than a Bruce Willis character who kicks copious amounts of bad guy asses and smokes a cigarette.

*runs away*

Fullmetal Xeno likes this.
  2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

OMFG, stereotyyyyyyping!! Go sit in a corner, Link. Here's a cone-shaped hat for company.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  3. Link the Writer

My evil plan is working.

KaTrian likes this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I love coming late to a thread. Now I feel like I'm the 8th successful Yank landing on Mars....
    Where am I anyway...? o_O

5. Link the Writer

You are in the Isle of Madness. Our Lord Sheograth will now show you your proper place. Please don't insult his beard, unless you wish to be dropped from high altitude.

...I'm going now. *leaves*

6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

....being dropped from a high altitude ...wasn't that a different thread....o_Oo_Oo_O:crazy:

7. Link the Writer

Maybe. Maybe not.

You're an owl, Jannert. Just flap your wings and you'll be fine. I, however?

Start at 1:00.

8. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

Cool, I always kinda liked these forum threads where Americans insecure of their country's might&power find something that is unquestionably something "they" did right, so they can tap their own shoulders and go "Yipi, we rulez!! U-S-A! U-$-A! You As Hay!"

Well, helloooo people! Yeah you rule the f*king globe! Shephards in Zimbabwe drink Pepsi, eat GMO soya, die of cancer and pay for their goats in dollars! Inuits learn English! Moldova students listen to MTV! There are tiny American flags on Mars! There are big f*king American flags on the Moon! There is one in Moscow for God's sake (limited to ambassadorial grounds, but...)
    How is it that you are still uncertain about it after 100 years? :) Are those damn liberals not treating you right? Not enough stars&stripes in public places? :)

The only thing that makes US great, in my humble third-world-opinion, are golden toilets and private helicopters. I hear that every cottage in your country owns at least one of each! :D

Lemex likes this.
  9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

You must have heard wrong. It's private toilets and golden helicopters. Pretty much everyone has a private toilet (or at least access to one), but I think only Donald Trump (the Ego that Walks Like a Man) has a golden helicopter. :D

10. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

That's wasn't the point. Apparently you missed this paragraph:
    "I do believe someone should point this out to the horrid men trying to show off their superiority by beheading innocent people."​
    And I'm not insecure about our might and power, but I am disgusted by the half of the country that keeps voting for us to use it.

11. Burlbird

@minstrel and 500kg giant sheep that can feed and dress my whole village? ...or was that in Sowiet Rushia? :D
    Yeah, I know, the wrong side won that Cold War thing... You didn't even had to coax all those Moon landings!

@GingerCoffee what are you, some kind of defeatist? [edit: autocorrect keeps typing "dentist" :D]

12. Boger

Boger Senior Member

boo.

13. Link the Writer

And this is where I leave. National dick-measuring contests and politics are a no-go for me. Here, have a ruler. Enjoy!

Hell, why am I leaving? :pop: Let me feel your rage! Let me feel the heat!!

I'm so getting banned for this... :cry:

14. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

I need a longer ruler.

15. Link the Writer

*throws you a yardstick* Done! Now I shall leave before I incite the wrath of the mods for spamming.

*leaves quickly and quietly, gently shuts the door*

16. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I'm almost an 18 year old young adult/teenager, it's okay for me to be incorrect on some things. No, i don't think America is more superior than Europe. I'm just stating from the bleakness that was fighting the Germans, Italians and transiently the Soviets during that time without our involvement. The British and French armies were just as capable, but in order for them to win more proficiently, they needed our help. I'm only glad we came to help to not prove that we were number one and that they were cowards or anything, but to do what was right and help end the suffering that was going on. The US foreign policy in the 1940's is a neutral Sweden-like state compared to now.

17. Burlbird

@Fullmetal Xeno you do realize I'm just foolin' 'round and about, leting myself be a sarcastic SoB? Also, you do realize German, Italians and ex-Soviets ARE Europeans? A huge, large and innumerably innumerable majority of Europeans, to be exact :D
    Also, how exactly did you help anyone seventy years ago, being of tender age of 18 now? :)

18. Fullmetal Xeno

I meant Axis and Allied Europeans, but not all Axises and Allies were in Europe :D. I wasn't sure about the tone of sarcasm, i thought i hit a bad string and upset you like Americans usually do with people from other countries cause they act like they're better than them, and i didn't want to come off that way. And i meant we, because i'm from America. :D If it was anyone who helped the Europeans physically back then it was my Great Uncle.

19. Link the Writer

Personally, I think World War II is overrated, oversaturated. I get it. It's the biggest, most destructive conflict in recent memory, but I can't remember the last time there's been anything on TV that wasn't about World War II. There's a whole host of history out there that isn't 1939-1945, but yet...World War II is what they choose to focus on. Like that's the only thing that happened in all of human history. I'm glad the Nazis, the Japanese, and the Italians* lost, but I'm not really into studying this war that much.

* Yeah, it wasn't just Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan that the Allies had to fight. It was Italy as well.

Bah, I just had two bottles of India Pale Ale and have no idea what I'm posting. This thread is quickly sinking down to 'national dick swinging'. My sniffer said as much from the minute I stepped into here.

20. Chinspinner

Only because they can make cheap TV using old footage. You can't really do that with the War of the Roses.

21. Link the Writer

Now that I can side with. It's probably cheaper to just use World War II footage and hire some dude with a gravely voice to be the narrator. :p

My favorite was Warlords where they literally had actors playing Roosevelt/Churchill/Stalin/Hitler sitting in front of a 1940s-era movie screen watching their real-life counterparts while the narrator talked about what they did. I almost expected them to turn around and say, "Do you know who's talking while I'm watching myself wage a war?"

22. Fullmetal Xeno

Just like World War 2 In Color :p

Link the Writer likes this.
  23. Link the Writer

Yeah. :p

That said, I'd watch a documentary about War of the Roses a hundred times before I watch one about World War II. I mean, don't you think we've discussed that war to death by now? I can't even watch Doctor Who anymore, because I know they're going to base at least one episode during this frickin' war!

...Can you all tell how tired I am of the media's chronic, helpless obsession with World War II? I've deliberately steered my stories clear from the 1940s for that specific reason. This is the one time period I have forbade myself from writing about. I can touch on any other time period I want, but not 1939-1945. I'm sorry, but stories set in this war have become as clichéd as the high fantasies involving elves, dwarves, goblins, and a kingdom to save/overthrow. If it's of any comfort, I do like the music that came out during that time period.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  24. Chinspinner

I find WWII incredibly interesting. But yes I am bored of every history programme in the UK covering either WWII or Henry the Eighth. Other things have happened...

Link the Writer likes this.
  25. Link the Writer

^ To be truly hypocritical/ironic, I actually wouldn't mind a documentary about Ernest Rommel. His African campaign is very fascinating, and I'd love to hear more about it. It would answer the burning question I have of why the Nazis decided to meander around Africa for. I thought that was Mussolini's goal. In fact, why did Mussolini want to screw with Africa? I thought their goal was to basically take over Europe. Going into Africa was certainly not going to help them with that...

And I just officially derailed the thread and made myself quite unpopular now, I am sure. This is what happens when you have too much to drink, kids.