Tags:
  1. DREWSKY

DREWSKY Member

Use of Commas, in need of a guide

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by DREWSKY, Sep 16, 2020.

Given how long it's been since studying grammar, I'm in need of a guide of correct use of commas.

My general habit is to place a comma, in the structure of a sentence, when it feels natural to do so. Also basing off of a general sense from reading articles and books. It's never been something that I was so conscious about until deciding that I want to become a more technically sound writer. My level of noob here is at 10 so any information will be helpful to the cause...

Does anyone have a good guide or a true north instinct that helps them know where to place the commas?

2. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

DREWSKY likes this.
  3. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Did you put the comma there deliberately, or as satire?

4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

You can kill those two commas right there.

There's the old adage "when in doubt leave it out," which isn't very useful because that assumes an existing knowledge of how commas should be used in the first place. However, it does point to what you said about "when it feels natural." Speech pauses and comma delineations are not always related. Just because the thought/speech of a passage implies a pause or a parenthetical doesn't mean a comma is needed.

deadrats and OurJud like this.
  5. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Read the sentence out loud and pause whenever you encounter a comma. Does it sound natural? If not, cut the comma.

OurJud likes this.
  6. DREWSKY

DREWSKY Member

One man's natural is another's struggle. It's like the person who wakes up in the morning and "clutzily" destroys everything in their home without intention. Good to know/keeping an eye out for more examples.

That's a great example right there:
    If ..., then .... statements

7. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I used to commarise (made up word?) to a ridiculous level, dropping one in whenever I heard even the slightest of pauses in my speech while composing the sentence in my head. I’m not saying I’m perfect in that area, but when I insert them now I always read back and ask if it’s really necessary. I do this by consciously removing the natural pause in my speech, and if the sentence still sounds okay without that pause I remove the comma.

ETA. Just noticed @Naomasa298 suggested the exact same method. That’s what happens when you don’t read the whole thread.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  8. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Oh, and whenever anyone talks about commas I can’t resist posting this.

DREWSKY likes this.