1. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Use of Epithets?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Harmonices, Jan 29, 2019.

When you use epithets, either in speech or in narrative, how do you present them?

I don't mean casual ones, I mean the kind that are more formal and unique to individual characters such as those employed for royalty and gods.

Capitalised like a proper noun? Italics to indicate it's not the actual name?

In my fantasy bumf, I'm using a fair few. I'd like to find a neat standardised way to use them.

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Can you give some examples?

If I understand you correctly, I would capitalise them. I tend to use them for side characters who don't need to be named but do need to be referred to, like, The blue-eyed man stared at her. Once I've established his epithet, I would then capitalise: "Hey," said Blue Eyes. At that point it's become his 'name,' so it needs capitals.

Harmonices likes this.
  3. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

The royalty in my dragon story have epithets which reflect notable physical characteristics.
    Queen Briekka is also referred to as 'the white pearl'. The Grandmother is 'the gold star', and the Queen's daughter is 'the violet flame'.
    These are also terms of popular endearment, which distinguish them from the proles.

Just checked out Diana 'the People's Princess' - usually capitalised online, barring the 'the'.
    I think capitals it may be.

4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I'd capitalise those, yup.

I looked it up in my old version of the Chicago Manual of Style and it says:

You probably already know, but most US publishers will use the CMoS when editing.

Harmonices likes this.
  5. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

That's helpful thank you. Nope, newb here. Don't know nuthink about that kind of stuffs. Cheers.

Tenderiser likes this.