?

Would you re-use the same editor or hire a new one?

1. Same editor

2. New editor

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. C. H. Connor

C. H. Connor New Member

Use One Editor or Two?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by C. H. Connor, Sep 11, 2017.

I had my novel edited professionally a while back, and now I've made various changes and tweaks, I don't know whether to submit my work back to the same editor, or hire a new one who'll have fresh eyes for it.
    Can anyone think of any pros for submitting to a new editor, or for keeping the one I've worked with before?

My only thoughts are that the one who's already read my work will already have an insight and preconceived ideas and opinions, whereas someone completely new will take it for what it is.

...thoughts?

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Well, the original editor will be in a better position to track the changes you've made in regard to her earlier suggestions. A new editor might have a completely different take and recommend another tear-down, which may or may not be a bad thing. If you're happy with the original editor I would stick with her. Might even be able to negotiate a better price too, since she's already been paid once and freelancers love repeat business. A new editor will take longer and would cost more, I would think.

Youssef Salameh and C. H. Connor like this.
  3. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I would hope that a professional editor would be able to look at something objectively. This isn't your friend or writing buddy who's beta reading something for you, after all - this is their job. But, I don't have any experience with this particular process, so ... grain of salt.

C. H. Connor likes this.
  4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I'm a professional editor (non-fiction) and also do a lot of beta reading (non-professionally). In both cases I think I'm much less useful when looking at a manuscript the second time around. You can't get a first impression twice, and it's first impressions that matter to readers and industry professionals alike.

I would go with a new editor.

C. H. Connor likes this.