1. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

The line between

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Neoaptt, Feb 21, 2010.

I basically know the line between fantasy and horror. But I'm a kind of echy around the limits to each one. Not to say that I'm limiting my writing but the the genre in general.

I was reading a good horror short. And thought of this.

When you have a character with supernatural abilities that differ from vampire, zombie, and monster like attributes. What is separating it from fantasy. Minus the fact that there are no elves, dwarfs, or wizards.

Does it have to boil down to where it is and it what time? Or does It have to do with the emotions built up? Is it because there are more than one type of super natural?

It might not be a necessary question but it is one that boggles my mind a little. So if anyone knows something or would like to take a guess. Be my guest. (Remember to take your shoes off at the door.)

2. Tigress

Tigress New Member

I think the difference is magic. Horror deals with the supernatural, but it's generally tied into some demonic entity or alien race whereas fantasy tends to include some outside force that is not so easily defined, whether it be presented in the form of esoteric energy or the work of gods.

And if you want to give your mind a truly bizarre twist, read Stephen King's Dark Tower series. It's his seven book fantasy series set in something akin to the wild west. Talk about thinking outside the box. lol

3. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

I have. Read all of it. All 7 books.

Yes, a very... Out of there book.