Useless Facts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewdog, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Literal GOL (Guffaw Out Loud).

Oscar Leigh, Kinzvlle and Cave Troll like this.
  2. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

The difference between the New York accent and the Boston one is a focus on the "Aww" sound for New Yorkers and the "Ahh" sound for Boston dwellers. For example,

"Cawfee" is how a native New Yorker says coffee.

"Cahfee" is for Boston locals.

Other examples include "Cah" (car) for Boston natives and "Caw" (Car) for New Yorkers.

3. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

"Ja tänne sitä p******n sumppia niin ku olis jo! Mikä v***u siellä nyt maksaa? Lopettakaa ny j********a se torikokous siinä keittimen eessä niin että ihmisetki pääsee ottamaan. Ja mee sä h*****n hippi ny siitä tieltä pyörimästä vaikka naamaas kampaamaan jos ei sulla oo parempaa tekemistä ku leikkiä kuolaavaa puudelia pullavadin eessä! ***u!"

That is very Finnish way to say "May I have some coffee soon, please?"

(Please don't ask KaTrian to translate this. Just trust me.)

Oscar Leigh, Kinzvlle and Cave Troll like this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    [​IMG]

5. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

@Alan Aspie

Cave Troll and Oscar Leigh like this.
  6. Alan Aspie

Shhh.... Keep it down...

And don't tell anyone that Swedish yummy surströmming is fish that has taken 2-3 week railroad trip from Vyborg to Vladivostok. Someone might think that there is something wrong with Russian-Swedish food logistic and preparation standards.

(I suppose that you do know that Russia stopped buying foreign cheese as counter action against western sanctions. Then they elevated their own cheese production to it's highest peak ever. And now they ship Russian cheese to Syria, where it is used as barrel bombs.)

Cave Troll and Kinzvlle like this.
  7. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    [​IMG]

Shenanigator, Hammer, Malisky and 2 others like this.
  8. Kinzvlle

Not exactly useless to be aware of this, but a watchlist conversation on another thread reminded me of this segment. There was more to it but couldn`t find that.

Yesterday was also the Catholic feast day of Saint Gertrude, the patron saint of cats and those who love them. Much better saint then Patrick if you ask me. Personally, I find it odd, that select Catholic feast days are adopted as "secular" holidays all together but...that`s another topic. Majority of holidays our just a sham anyway.

The term Scot-Irish is used to describe an ethnic group in Ulster Ireland who trace their roots to Scottish settlers. Scott-Irish Americans are their descendants after they migrated to America in large numbers in the 18th and 19th century.

When I was a tot, and I first heard the term I didn`t know all that and thought it applied to me being of both Scottish (grandmothers side) and Irish (grandfathers side) descent. It does not.

A group of Ulster Scots also emigrated to Canda as well.

Irish Americans actually played a pretty big part in the Civil war. At least 150,000 Irish fought for the north with 20, 000 for the South. A large number of Scoth-Irish were also involved in the war, mainly for the Confredacey. Some Irish would take there experience fighting in the war back home with them, and fight the British as members of the IRA or similar groups. Some joined out of loyalty for there new home, some hoped Irish involvement would help put an end to Irish discrimination, and some were drafted into the way unvoluntary and with little way out as poor immigrants. Many were angry, at the last bit, no idea why.

On both sides the Irish formed there own ethnic units and bridges. Had there own songs like above and even did mass. The Irish Brigades would become known for there toughness, and courage in battle. Even if many would abandon the war as there loyalty wanned later on.

I know i`m a day late with the Irish facts but sue me.

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Kinzvlle and Cave Troll like this.
  10. Kinzvlle

I made a joke in the cooking thread I think about Jack the Ripper, being just a very confused chef trying to make whores soup, with the added end.."no, that`s to close to Sweeny Todd." only for the real thing to be even closer to Sweeny Todd.

Cave Troll likes this.
  11. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

I've always wondered about Jack the Ripper. We studied him in our English lessons at secondary school.

Cave Troll and Kinzvlle like this.
  12. Kinzvlle

A slightly more in-depth article on the matter. It appears there`s still some skepticism, and it`s not a concrete he`s the ripper but it`s still pretty fascinating and is the latest study/theory. I find it amazing that the case is still being advanced in any way this far into the future.

13. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I wasn't truly convinced by the first article. It doesn't help that it was from The Sun.
    There were people know as barber surgeons though, but I'm not sure when they phased out as such. There was a Penny Dreadful written called String Of Pearls, which is thought to be the origins of the story of Sweeney Todd. That was written before JTP in the 1700s, but he could have read it, possibly. Kinda clutching at interesting straws, but it's fun to theorise.

ETA: The second article mentions silk. How exactly would a prostitute be able to afford silk? I'm presuming that is something that has always been expensive.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Kinzvlle and Cave Troll like this.
  14. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Nice write - and nice song to the tune of 'Whisky in the Jar'...BUT...Scots-Irish or Ulster Scots as we say [here] would not generally join the IRA...because the IRA...to put things simply is the other side...so, so, time to purchase a whole heap of new posters for the bedroom & welcome to the family my redcoat, my brother.

[​IMG] upload_2019-3-18_21-2-33.jpeg upload_2019-3-18_21-2-44.jpeg

Cave Troll likes this.
  15. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Prostitutes are often given expensive gifts as "payment" and it doesn't matter, it was what she was wearing and found at the murder scene. There will always be people that are skeptical. They started the DNA testing back in 2011 and were able to go further with the mitochondrial DNA just now. The skeptics only point out that there could have been cross contamination. But why would there happen to be contamination by one of the suspects? And why did the murders stop just when this suspect was committed to an insane asylum where he died. After a while you have to stop saying there are too many co-incidences. I think they got the right guy.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  16. matwoolf

But the science journal says the shawl is disputed as ever being at the scene of crime/ and the DNA conclusion was 'brown eyes/brown hair' ....leading me to the firm conclusion that the perpetrator was some Duke of Cornwall/Royal Family member.

Cave Troll likes this.
  17. EBohio

EBohio Banned

"The shawl was obtained from David Melville-Hayes, who is the great-great nephew of Amos Simpson, an acting sergeant in the London police who ostensibly originally recovered the shawl from the Eddowes crime scene, according to the current study."

How could you not believe a great-great nephew of one of the investigators?

I don't buy the royal family member because the crimes were too gruesome just to cover up an illegitamate child. That kind of thing could be covered up with less mess.

What is interesting though is that a lot of the original suspects did have brown eyes. But the mitochondrial DNA only matches Kosminski.

matwoolf likes this.
  18. matwoolf

Yes, you're probably right.

I don't get 'triggered' or 'spooked' by Jack the Ripper so much. Although in my old job I had to sleep nights in the former cop shop on Whitehall where Crippen was interviewed and such. Scene never really got under my skin...

I was most impressionable, a child, in the times of the Yorkshire Ripper and the [Geordie Ripper.] Even more recently I scared myself witless with the Zodiac and the Sunshine State, the guy they just caught - reading wikipedia at bedtime and hearing those footsteps on the staircase/baseball bat to the cat...you know and the apology.

19. Alan Aspie

British police has tried to solve this crime for... how long? 130 years?

Then Finnish molecule biology researcher Jari Louhelainen came to help a bit...

(Ok... There was also David Miller from Leeds University.)

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/1556-4029.14038

(The solving percentage of homicides inFinland has been near 100% for decades. As long as case is open, they just keep on working. They never close unsolved homicides.)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  20. Reece

Reece Senior Member

I used to be a chambermaid, and that is not true, at least not for all hotels.

21. Reece

Reece Senior Member

[​IMG]

Cave Troll and Oscar Leigh like this.
  22. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

I didn’t kill anyone yesterday.

23. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    That's a First World Whinge, not a Useless Fact :)

24. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

I don’t live in the First World, so you better make a “Developing Country Whinge” thread ;)

Anyway, the day is still young :D

Cave Troll and Iain Aschendale like this.
  25. Alan Aspie

That is a good start.

Now you should repeat that as many times as you can.

If you need peer support, there is this very, very, very anonymous group called... (sorry, can't tell).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.