Useless Facts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewdog, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Fingers or toes with nerve damage don't wrinkle up when kept in water. Normally, hands and feet wrinkle up to help improve grip on wet or submerged objects (and not due to soaking up water). It's a way they test for nerve damage.

2. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Now I need to try this on my big toes. I haven' felt either of them since boot camp.

3. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    [​IMG]

That's actress Chloe Hunter's midsection and Christina Hendricks' hand you're looking at.

Apparently shot separately, so get your collective minds out of the gutter.

Homer Potvin, Cave Troll and Xoic like this.
  4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Nope. Still there.

Homer Potvin and Iain Aschendale like this.
  5. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

not @Xoic or me though...

Useless fact: people over sixty can't say "chorizo"

(for some reason, it would appear without exception, they feel the need to insert a "t" before the "z"... )

Oscar Leigh and Robert Musil like this.
  6. Xoic

Hey, I look up @ the stars when there's nothing better to look at. :cool:

Hammer likes this.
  7. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Even star gazing from the gutter I can properly pronounce chorizo. Better yet, I can cook with it.

8. Xoic

A bunch of useless but really cool facts about donkeys (unless you're a rancher or farmer):

Note—we call animals 'stupid' if they refuse to do what we want. This is why people think donkeys are stupid. Inside they're just like "Whatever dude... ".

Oh, and don't worry, they don't kill pests. They pick them up by the scruff of the neck like a mamma dog carrying puppies around, or better yet by the ear!

9. Catriona Grace

My son bought and trained a couple of giant donkeys for packing and riding. Kept them a year and sold them for twice what he paid for them. He said they were too smart and too opinionated to make good pack animals.

Oscar Leigh and Xoic like this.
  10. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I wish I was a donkey. Be kicking fools and chomping ears all day.

11. Xoic

Wait... don't you already do that?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  12. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Haha. Not in this labor market.

Xoic likes this.
  13. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Erik-the-Enchanter! Banned Contributor

Love Poems
    I get mistaken for a woman so many times that I'm beginning to wonder should I wear gangster clothes or big baggy clothes to make people think I'm really a man. It's really annoying and embarrassing, verging on harrassment.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this lol, but it is useless info I guess, I'm just stressed out. Pic for example of my regular relevant 2.jpg appearance.

14. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    That shirt does have a rather feminine cut to it. All the lines run smoothly to your waist. Your overall style is different from what I (pudgy and middle-aged) wear, but I wouldn't suggest that you go baggy or "gangster". I think the deep v-neck is what sets that particular shirt towards the ladies' section.

Erik-the-Enchanter! likes this.
  15. Xoic

The beard is kind of a giveaway though... :cool: o_O

16. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    You never met my buddy's wife :)

Oscar Leigh, Catriona Grace and Xoic like this.
  17. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I like the style and don't think you need to go 'gangsta'. At a glance, I think it's mainly the plunging neckline that makes people jump to that conclusion.

18. Xoic

And the long slender neck. But to me the face looks masculine. Plus, girls dress pretty gangsta in these days of female action heroes... :p

19. Catriona Grace

You're fashionable. A slightly androgynous appearance is hotter than hell these days. If you aren't happy with it, though, you could try Wranglers, cowboy boots, western shirts with pearl buttons, and a gimme cap that says PBR on it.

The mom of a childhood friend had a very deep voice and was constantly mistaken for a man on the phone. She told me once she decided she had the choice of staying peeved or rolling with it. She chose the latter and used her stock phrase whenever necessary: "No, I'm not a man; I'm a woman with a deep voice." She sang bass- true bass- in our collegium musicum group. You could try, "I'm Erik, not Erika." I assure you, the folks making the mistake are the ones who will be embarrassed.

20. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    I literally thought afte rI posted this maybe I shouldve sent this to you instead in messages lol, you always have such spot on advice, I swear. I usually wear button up shirts but it was really warm that day lol, I vacillate between a preppy style and punk rock style, like for a week or two I'll dress preppy because thats just how feel inside and then the next few weeks I'll dress punk rock just because lol. And that's an awesome anecdote. It really made me think differently. I feel I'm probably insecure and judgments from others really effect me. <.<' But I'm working on it lol.

21. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Thank you for your insight, I honestly appreciate it.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  22. Xoic

Never had the cap, but I used to pop a lot of 'em! And Milwaukee's Beast, back in the cheap days.

23. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Lol, sometimes I shave though and sometimes I wear a mask and whew, I can't tell you how many times someone assumes I'm a woman in a mask and then I talk and they either think I'm a dude and then they get embarrassed (or harass me like I was trying to fool them, or they assume I'm a transgender. o_O Like seriously, I'm transgender just because my style isn't mainstream??? Lmao. I think it might also be my longish hair, when I flatiron it then it almost touches my chin.

Thank you all for responding, I didn't know how to quote you all in one message. :wotwot:

24. Xoic

Hey, these days nobody knows what to think anymore. It would seem like a probability.

25. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Lol, maybe its just but I never assume someone is transgender, gay, lesbian, or whatever. Maybe when I was an silly kid, but I'm in my twenties now and I know better. And I certainly don't harass people because I thought they were a man or woman and then I find out they aren't, lol. That's what happens to me, a man will think I'm a woman because of my style or long hair (especially when it was longer) and try to talk to me or even flirt and then when I reveal I'm actually a man they sometimes get hostile. I feel like it comes from a place of embarrassment partially, they always assume I'm trying to trick them when in fact I'm literally just going about my life and they are the ones who approached me. It's gotten to the point where if someone assumes I'm a woman I sometimes just let them think I'm a woman and try to politely exit the conversation because I never know how they'll react. And sometimes people will just assume you're transgender as I said and then immediately start harassing you lol, even though I'm not. I went to see the doctor recently and on my way out two older church women walked by me shaking their heads and looking grumpy and they started yelling out, "Amen! Jesus! God! Hallelujah!" And I was confused for a second why they were doing that to me and then it literally wasn't until I got home that I looked in the mirror and saw that my vintage long brown-leather trench coat, my long beige shirt that I wore underneath, and my brown boots could have come across as me trying to look womanly to a bigoted judgmental person, when in fact I just like vintage clothing and sometimes wear shirts that are bigger than me lol.

I don't know, I guess some people will always judge. I have a pair of spiked goth bracelets that I wear in case someone tries to assault just because of my appearance. I would like to add this doesn't happen to me all the time, just sporadically. When it does happen back to back though then it does become tiresome. Honestly it could be the area I live in, some towns are more accepting of differences than others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.