1. PilotMobius

PilotMobius Active Member

Problems (and solutions) with helmets that cover the entire face.

Discussion in 'Research' started by PilotMobius, Dec 31, 2016.

Helmets that cover the entire face are pretty much standard in science fiction, but they come with a host of problems. While they might protect the user from bullets and shrapnel, full helmets impair breathing and situational awareness while preventing the user from attaining proper cheek weld with their firearm.

Possible solutions for vision:
    • larger visor made of durable transparent materials like graphene or transparent ceramic/aluminum
    • optics array linked to a VR display inside the helmet like a military-grade oculus rift

Breathing:
    • powered air supply

Cheek weld:
    • having the helmet cover only half of the face to allow for proper cheek weld
    • gun-mounted optics wirelessly linked to a holographic HUD that simulates where the gun is firing
    • power armor that allows stockless rifles to be held in front of the user like a pistol
    • spray and pray ;)

What are some other solutions you can think of for problems with full helmets?

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Difficulties with access to face for eating, drinking, nose-blowing, nose-scratching, etc...

I don't know - I guess it would be best to not wear helmets when you have a cold? And to only wear them for limited periods of time so you can eat when they're off. If they had to be worn for longer, maybe a nutrient tube somewhere?

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

The obvious solution for cheek weld is laser sights - that way they don't have to bring the gun to the eye for aiming.

The obvious solution for everything else is a flip up visor like you find on bike helmets

4. PilotMobius

I've thought about laser sights, but the little red dot would be hard to spot, and it'd give your position away. The problem with flip-up visors is that it defeats the point of having the visor's protection while in combat.

I guess full helmets explain why stormtrooper aim is so bad. :p

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

so you keep it flipped down when you need its protection but flip it up when you need to eat, drink etc - its not difficult really (ask any biker)

6. PilotMobius

Isn't the flip-up visor going to compromise ballistic protection though?

7. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I was thinking these were, like, space suit helmets... but they're just protective visors?

8. Dnaiel

Dnaiel Senior Member

I would expect that a technology level in a civilization that gets away with full-face helmets wouldn't even need gun sights.

Solutions
    Air: gas-permeable material.
    Vision: one-way mirror approach. But a material that doesn't reflect on one side; light penetrates toward face only.
    Cheek weld: helmet mechanically reforms to accept designated weapon(s). This can be assisted with computer virtual guidance.

9. PilotMobius

I was talking about the space suit helmets.

10. PilotMobius

Well, the one-way mirror would protect against blinding lasers, but the purpose of the visor is to protect the head from projectiles rather than obscure the user's face. I'm not sure what you mean by the helmet mechanically reforming though. Does it use computer-controlled electroactive polymers that change shape?

11. Dnaiel

Dnaiel Senior Member

Sure. Whatever works. If you want cheek weld with a full-face helmet, then let the helmet have a tech that makes its shape change specifically to accommodate the weapon.

12. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I like the gun camera + HUD idea. There's also an existing system that allows the shooter to designate a target, hold down the trigger, and the computer "watches" through a camera lined up to the gun. When the muzzle crosses the correct point in the gun's waver, the computer actually initiates the shot. AFAIK, it only works if both shooter and target are fairly stationary, but it's a new system, no reason you couldn't upgraded it.

Here we are:

http://newatlas.com/trackingpoint-precision-guided-firearms-scopes-digital/25264/

13. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    You could make the helmet less bulky, and still have the required breather apparatus.
    You could have the HUD work in tandem with a remote video sensor zeroed to the rifle,
    and have a targeting retical in the display field, like an FPS negating the need to shoulder
    fire the weapon. You can also have the optic set up to a PIP so it can be used to peek around
    corners/cover without exposing the soldier. It may not be the most original idea, but I am
    trying to be helpful. :)