1. The Backward OX

The Backward OX New Member

Outback Queensland, Australia, far from the maddin

Question about Point of View

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by The Backward OX, Aug 6, 2009.

I have been looking unsuccessfully online for examples of the various POVs used in writing. Wikipedia have a number of entries on the subject that give extremely wordy descriptions, but not a single one of those entries provides examples of the things they describe.

So my question is, does anyone know where a student might go, to learn by example how the various POVs are used?

By example, I mean a section of narrative of sufficient length to show first one POV and then another, so that the distinction between the two is clear to the student.

Due to constraints of both time and location, I’d prefer it if these examples could be found online rather than in hard copy books. In other words, I seek links to Websites rather than names of authors and/or titles of books. Or maybe you'd like to write out some examples yourself.;)

Thank you.

2. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I shall direct you to Cogito's excellent blog piece on POV, which should answer most, if not all, of your questions: https://www.writingforums.org/blog.php?b=777

3. architectus

architectus Banned

Go to Amazon. You can read the first few pages of many novels.

Check out Odd Thomas, by Dean Koontz, or anything by Octavia Butler for first person.

For third person limited, check out pretty much any other book by Koontz.

For omnipresent, check out LOTR.

For a more limited omnipresent, check out Dune.

for second person, check out any of the choose your own adventure books.

For first person present tense, check out Hunger Games.

1 person likes this.
  4. The Backward OX

The Backward OX New Member

Outback Queensland, Australia, far from the maddin
    Anybody else?

5. Ice

Ice New Member

Go to your local bookstore. Bring a piece of paper. Find the writing reference section. Look for a book on character and POV. If there is one, look through it for examples, which are often listed at the end of a chapter or at the end of the book itself. Write down the examples. If you can find no such writing reference book at the bookstore, go home and do research on Google. If by some divine joke you still cannot find anything, report back. :p