1. hilal

hilal Active Member

Help with scenario

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by hilal, Feb 26, 2016.

Writing a story about a university professor whose 5 year old son is dying of an unknown disease. He and is wife are divorced.
    Now how do I involve him in a scandal, I want to show him as someone who not only pays to charities but is also taking money from his students to pay for his sons medical bills. He pays for charities because he has an image to maintain. And sells grades to students. One of the students is a rotten brat but his father is someone high up in the hospital hierarchy.

Now this is the part where I am having trouble. What does one have to do to get stuck in a situation like that? I have heard that with the health insurance one wouldn't need the money. This is where I'm stuck.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Maybe the unknown disease has an experimental treatment that is expensive but showing results, but isn't covered by the insurance company because it is experimental and speculative.

3. hilal

hilal Active Member

Nice! Any other scenarios that I can incorporate?
    By the way on the medical bill does it say what sort of disease it is, because as you know its something new. What would show on the medical bill?

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Not sure how medical billing and coding for insurance would work with an unidentified illness. Someone here probably knows, though.