Tags:
  1. Sean2112bd

Sean2112bd New Member

How do I transition effectively?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Sean2112bd, Feb 10, 2011.

I'm having trouble transitioning seamlessly from paragraph to paragraph. I can write a paragraph and fill it with description (for example describing a character), but the problem is is that when I transition into another paragraph and try to talk about something else I don't know how to follow up from my previous paragraph.

2. guamyankee

guamyankee Active Member

The key word in your question is seamlessly. Don't try to be seamless in your rough draft. You're gonna have a hard enough time with that in revision. Just write.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Agree with this, you will have more options once your story is complete.

4. -oz

-oz Active Member

Reading more will help you with your transitions (provided you're reading good books). The more it's ingrained in your system (by reading), the more it will flow from you naturally. In the meantime, try posting some of your works on the reviews section (after reviewing a couple, of course).

5. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Do it the well you would if you were talking. Lets say you were talking about a trip your made. You talk about a element, pause, let the lister catch up and continue. You already got the skill for how to do this neatly.

Write a paragraph, pause and think "How would I continue if I told my friend about this?"