1. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

Using swastikas

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by King Arthur, Jan 29, 2016.

The Celts (Gauls, Celtiberians, Britons), Germanic Tribes, some Romans, Middle-East all used Swastikas in the time period (late 400's early 500's) my novel is set in. At least a few items in the novel will have Swastikas. Might it be misconstrued? An alarming number of people ignore its normal use. When those people go to India and see bottled water or companies with Swastikas, they're usually apalled because of that.

2. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

It's my understanding the Celts mainly depicted knot work and circles. Some Eastern motifs do show up now and then (think Gundestrup Cauldron), however I don't recall see much, if any, swastika's. Do you have a specific artifact you are referencing?

Also you might want to check this out:
    Art of the Celts : 700 BC to AD 700 / Felix Müller ; with contributions by Sabine Bolliger Schreyer [and others] ; [translation: Sandy Hämmerle].

Of course, you can use and reference any symbol you like--it is your work after all.

3. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

Here's a celtic shield covered in swastikas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battersea_Shield
    Statues/idols of Odin have been found with swastikas on them from the Germans.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Why is it alarming? One of the most heinous events to happen in the 20th century is forever linked to that symbol. Doesn't matter how many Discovery Channel shows you air showing where it came from, the connection is there. Good, bad or indifferent. And, you know, since there are still a stonking number of people alive who lived through the era in question, the connection is not likely to fade any time soon. Is it unfortunate? Yes. Is it "alarming"? No, it's perfectly intuitive.

5. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

Thanks--
    I have seem imagery like this, but would have never classified it a swastika. When I look at it, I see circles because of the more fluid aspects of the piece. When I think swastika I imagine a more angular item. However, they use the term swastika in their description. It's definitely something you're going to have to think about, for the reasons you mention above. If you use the term, you may want to consider including a phrase about the origins and meanings.

6. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

I could use the celtic word for it, which is Fylfot.

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I would go with this. It's a correct name for the image, and like @KhalieLa, I don't think many would classify the two symbols as being the same. Perhaps technically, yes, they are, but to look at them, one sees something very different as Khaliela mentions. This would circumvent the connection I mentioned previously, a connection, which, as I stated, is unfortunate, given what the swastika symbolizes in Eastern and Native American traditions.

8. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

Technically speaking the symbol of the Isle of Man is a swastika, but no one calls it that.