1. HanibalII

HanibalII New Member

plot for my first piece of work Overdone?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by HanibalII, Feb 4, 2012.

Ok, So over the past few days i've been developing a plot for a story. And my main concern is that it has been done to death.

Basically, its a Conspiracy x Fantasy Novel.

So to explain it, Based on a Magician, that doesnt know he's a magician to begin with. Who is also Immortal. To an extent, He can be killed, by normal means, Poison/blade/gun/explosion etc, but he always regenerates into a new body, but same memory's, Only another magician can kill him and make it permanent. The character is only a youngish man, but is on the run from enemy magicians that have lived for thousands of years. Influencing time as they go, IE rebellions, the creation of society, In a part i've tied in them influencing the catholic church.

In short its a run and Survive story, With the main Character finding his way both emotionally and spiritually, and fighting for the good of the many.

Does anybody feel that this could be a reasonable story? Or a story that would be good for me to test the waters in? I've read heaps of novels, but this is my first attempt at writing one.

Cheers

Simon

2. IrishLantern

IrishLantern New Member

As with any story idea it's all about how you write it, more than just the idea, but it sounds interesting. If he is immortal and always regenerates though, why doesn't he know he's a magician? I'd recommend dropping the immortality again. These magicians should be well protected by their powers, which would stop them being killed by basic means, and explaining why only another magician could kill him. If you give him the net of regenerating, readers are going to expect the inevitable moment when he somehow recovers from being killed by another magician.

But then, this is your story after all. I'd recommend you start writing it. You wont know if a story is viable until you start getting into the meat of it.

3. HanibalII

HanibalII New Member

Ok, well with the direction i'm heading in, He doesnt yet know he's a magician because he hasnt regenerated yet, I'm trying to decide the scene where he finds out, So far i've decided he gets trampled to death by horses (as he works as a stable hand) He only regenerates when he gets killed. I'm also trying to figure out how to turn it into a whole genetic thing. But its proving hard. I've already kinda planned out the ending, but it will most likely change, so far it will end with him getting killed, and staying dead.

So far i've only got upto about 3/4 of the first chapter. its sitting on about 2,000 words, and after reading this forum, alot of people aim between 2000 and 3500.

Thanks for the input!

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?